× Members

New Style ESA & Universal Credit - ESA50 or UC50?

More
1 week 5 days ago #291028 by Gringo2000
Hi guys,

I've applied for both New Style ESA & Universal Credit (both on the same day). Both asked for copies of my sick note - which I have provided to both.

However, I'm confused as to whether I should complete the ESA50 form, UC50 form, or both?

Can someone advise please? I know there are similarities between the two - but my understanding is that ESA pays fortnightly, whereas UC pays monthly.

Also, I am currently in receipt of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - and, I think I'm right in assuming that this would not be deducted from my ESA - but I think it would be deducted from UC?

The whole system is confusing (probably deliberately, know the DWP...........)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #291032 by Gordon
G

The ESA50 and UC50 are identical but for a few cosmetic changes and of course naming.

You should complete whichever form you are sent, usually, the UC50 just make sure that both benefits know that you are claiming the other.

Yes, ESA is paid fortnightly and UC monthly.

ESA is not affected by income with the exception of pension income where deductions can be made.

UC is affected by all income, so your IIDB and your ESA will be deducted £ for £.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 5 days ago #291033 by Gringo2000
Replied by Gringo2000 on topic New Style ESA & Universal Credit - ESA50 or UC50?
Thanks for your help Gordon.

ESA would be more beneficial for me then.

Can I therefore withdraw my Universal Credit and simply stick to New Style ESA on its own?

I know that ESA is 'contribution based' - and I would meet that criteria has I have made the relevant contributions and have a full history since 1995 without any gaps.

More
1 week 5 days ago #291038 by Gringo2000
Replied by Gringo2000 on topic New Style ESA & Universal Credit - ESA50 or UC50?
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Am I right in thinking that I would be better off withdrawing my UC claim then and just sticking to New Style ESA?

My understanding is that if I was put into the LCWRA group for UC - but had my IIDB taken deducted, i'd get around £142 per week.

Whereas on ESA, in the support group, i'd get £182.20? (£138.20p ESA + £44 IIDB)

More
1 week 4 days ago #291039 by Gordon
G

If you want to avoid a reassessment, assuming you have completed one for UC then you need to make your ESA claim before you close your UC one,

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 week 4 days ago #291040 by Gordon
G

I don't think your maths is correct.

You have added your IIDB to the ESA amount which is the correct thing to do but have not also done so for the UC, whilst it will be deducted your IIDB will still be paid leaving you at net zero.

My admittedly quick and rough calculation puts you better of on the UC.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.