× Members

TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES

More
8 years 10 months ago #137678 by Edward
Replied by Edward on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES
"2.114 Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) – During the recession, the SMI scheme was
temporarily set at a higher capital level with a shorter waiting period. Summer Budget 2015
announces that, from 1 April 2016, the SMI waiting period will return to the pre-recession
length of 39 weeks, but the capital limit will be maintained at the higher level of £200,000.
From April 2018, new SMI payments will be paid as a loan. Loans will be repaid upon sale of the
house, or when claimants return to work. Payments will accrue interest at a rate tied to the OBR
forecast of gilts. (49)"

do you think that this will then apply only to new loans taken out after April 2018 or to everyone who currently has their mortgage interest paid as a benefit rather than a loan?
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #137680 by Justin@73
Replied by Justin@73 on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES
Hi Bro58,

Ah thank you! U've clarified that for me. I did assume it applied to anyone claim after the budget. I will contact my PM to see what his take is.

Well, at least that's a relief for me. Pretty unpleasant for anyone awarded ESA WRAG by April next year.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .
8 years 10 months ago #137681 by
Replied by on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES

JR73 wrote: Hello,

I've just red the budget section and discovered that's ESA rates will be cut inline with JSA rates from April 2017 for new claimants.

I'm on Income Support and the old, non-existant Severe Disabledment Allowance. I got a letter about migrating to ESA on the 22nd June. Received phone call on 1st July. I am now in receipt of the ESA50 form since 4th July. Just waiting for Action for Blind People to help me fill it in and give any advice of how to approach these ambiguous questions.

I'm assuming that I'l be effected by the ESA change in rates as I'm effectively a new claimant?

I just thought I'd ask just incase your are able to advise me on this.

Thanks for you time :)

Hi JR73,

I have merged your post with the Budget Changes Topic.

Please see my previous response : Here.

You should ensure that The ESA50 is returned to Maximus, (CHDA) by the deadline date given.

You, or whoever is helping yo may find the following helpful :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page, 3rd & 4th links down :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or Maximus. (CHDA)

See also : ESA FAQ’s

&

IB, IS, SDA, Migration to ESA FAQ’s

bro58
8 years 10 months ago #137682 by
Replied by on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES

JR73 wrote: Hi Bro58,

Ah thank you! U've clarified that for me. I did assume it applied to anyone claim after the budget. I will contact my PM to see what his take is.

Well, at least that's a relief for me. Pretty unpleasant for anyone awarded ESA WRAG by April next year.

Hi JR73,

Yes, pretty unfair for future new ESA claimants placed into the WRAG after April 2017.

By the way, I think that you may be jumping a year, April 2017 is around 21 months away !! :)

bro58
More
8 years 10 months ago #137691 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES

John42 wrote: "2.114 Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) – During the recession, the SMI scheme was
temporarily set at a higher capital level with a shorter waiting period. Summer Budget 2015
announces that, from 1 April 2016, the SMI waiting period will return to the pre-recession
length of 39 weeks, but the capital limit will be maintained at the higher level of £200,000.
From April 2018, new SMI payments will be paid as a loan. Loans will be repaid upon sale of the
house, or when claimants return to work. Payments will accrue interest at a rate tied to the OBR
forecast of gilts. (49)"

do you think that this will then apply only to new loans taken out after April 2018 or to everyone who currently has their mortgage interest paid as a benefit rather than a loan?

At this time we can only go by what the notes say

From April 2018, new SMI payments will be paid as a loan

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
More
8 years 10 months ago #137698 by Edward
Replied by Edward on topic TODAY's BUDGET CHANGES
thanks Gordon, do you read this as "only for new claimants after April 2018 or for exixting claimants as well?
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.