× Members

ESA tribunal refusal

More
5 years 5 months ago #221884 by Helabob
ESA tribunal refusal was created by Helabob
Hallo, I'm new to this. My son has been refused ESA at the tribunal stage and this means he has to go straight back to work. He has had two brain injuries and has been unable to work for 2 years. Most of his problems are not visible physically but mental for instance he cannot travel alone or on public transport and has concetration issues and dizzyness etc.
Is there any other route I can take him? can he reapply for ESA ? or is he on the scrapheap. I am at my wits end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #221886 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA tribunal refusal
Rhody

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm afraid your son's options are limited.

You can ask for a Statement of Reasons from the Judge in charge of his hearing

Tribunals – Requesting a Statement of Reasons

If you can show that there was an Error of Law in the making of the Decision then it may be possible to get a new hearing, although you will still need to deal with the issues that meant that the Tribunal found against him.

What is an Error of Law?

This is a long process, it could easily be a year before a new hearing is convened.

He can make a new claim for ESA but only if you can show that his existing conditions have deteriorated and that he would now reasonably receive an award or if he has a new condition, you will need new medical evidence to support the claim.

ESA has very specific criteria, do you know which of the ESA Descriptors that you expected him to meet? See our ESA Claim guides for more information.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #221890 by Helabob
Replied by Helabob on topic ESA tribunal refusal
Thank you .
Yes your site was really helpful.
The descriptors were , 11a, 14c, 15d,16a, 17a and 18d so we expected to get him into the support group but nothing.

More
5 years 5 months ago #221891 by Helabob
Replied by Helabob on topic ESA tribunal refusal
Oh and yes we've asked for the statement of reasons but not received yet and the financial pressure is just making things worse

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #221893 by Gordon

Rhody wrote: Thank you .
Yes your site was really helpful.
The descriptors were , 11a, 14c, 15d,16a, 17a and 18d so we expected to get him into the support group but nothing.

These descriptors suggest quite significant problems, what evidence did you have in support of his problems?

Did he score any points at all?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

More
5 years 5 months ago #221894 by Gordon

Rhody wrote: Oh and yes we've asked for the statement of reasons but not received yet and the financial pressure is just making things worse

I'm afraid ESA is not payable during an appeal to the UTT.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Helabob

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.