× Members

ATOS HP methods

More
5 years 3 months ago #226031 by antmack
ATOS HP methods was created by antmack
Hi

After a review I've been declined PIP having gone from 27 points for daily living (enhanced) and 10 points mobility (standard) to zero points. I have a long-term neurological condition that isn't going to improve.

I'm wondering if the following has happened to anyone else?:

Having read my health assessment report, the HP seems to using casual observations at the assessment i.e. handling a piece of paper containing notes, and facts i.e. driving a manual car, as evidence of motor (hand use) ability being normal and it not impeding my ability to carry out activities of daily living. The HP report also using code names such as "IO" which I believe to stand for 'initial observer' who appears to be a person on reception at the PIP consultation centre.

At the centre, you're required to confirm your identity, including showing a form of ID and the person on reception will ask you to confirm your DOB. The HP appears to have used the fact I correctly remembered my DOB as evidence that I don't have memory problems. And that being a driver demonstrates cognition, memory and thinking (of course), but what is falsely implied is that you cannot have cognition, memory or thought impairments if you're able to drive.

The HP also uses "MSE" which I believe stands for mental state examination. But I didn't have an examination of my mental state at the assessment, or if I did was not made aware. The HP says "the MSE indicates no evidence of cognitive impairment".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #226051 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ATOS HP methods
Anthony

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

Understand that the assessor is offering an opinion when they say that you can do the PIP activities, tackling these head-on is unlikely to be successful, you need to show that the basis of that opinion is founded on incorrect information, so try and refer to your evidence to undermine what they have said.

Also, try and stick to issues that lead to your scoring points, I often hear members referring to the assessors spelling, as an example, whilst it may show a lack of professionalism, raising it as an issue isn't going to help you get an award.

Lastly, make sure that you understand the criteria that you are being assessed against you can put the best case forward that is possible but you won't score points if you do not meet the PIP Descriptors.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
5 years 3 months ago #226055 by antmack
Replied by antmack on topic ATOS HP methods
Thanks Gordon, I'm following your advice, however do you have any comments about the rest of my post? :)

More
5 years 3 months ago #226060 by Gordon

Antony wrote: Thanks Gordon, I'm following your advice, however do you have any comments about the rest of my post? :)

To be honest no! If you look through the forum you will see lots of members posting similar problems.

IO - Informal observations, things seem before and after the actual interview.

Try and look through the comments to understand what they are implying in regard to the PIP Descriptors, so reasonable grip would have implications for Preparing Food, Taking Nutrition, Washing and Bathing and Dressing and Undressing.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #226072 by antmack
Replied by antmack on topic ATOS HP methods

Gordon wrote:

Antony wrote: Thanks Gordon, I'm following your advice, however do you have any comments about the rest of my post? :)

To be honest no! If you look through the forum you will see lots of members posting similar problems.

IO - Informal observations, things seem before and after the actual interview.

Try and look through the comments to understand what they are implying in regard to the PIP Descriptors, so reasonable grip would have implications for Preparing Food, Taking Nutrition, Washing and Bathing and Dressing and Undressing.

Gordon

OK Gordon, I only asked because I thought that you'd missed part of my post and didn't want other members to think that I was fully satisfied with the replies so far. I wasn't demanding a response.

This forum seems rather too controlled and although you clearly make an immense effort to reply, I wish there was more participation. You don't have to reply to my posts, just post them.

More
5 years 3 months ago #226077 by Gordon
Antony

This is not a traditional forum where members post and members reply. There's no reason why other members cannot reply to your post but in reality, they probably won't.

The intention of the forum is for members to be able to post their question about benefits, problems they are having with a claim and their successful claims and for a Moderator to provide assistance with these.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.