× Members

Changes in circumstances

More
5 years 2 months ago #227012 by Paper Plane
Changes in circumstances was created by Paper Plane
I am shortly to call to report an improvement in my health condition. it is variable, but with treatment, it seems to have improved for at least a month.

When I call, do I just tell them my NI number, and other ID, and they send a form to fill in? Does doing this effectively end my claim for support ESA and PIP?

Are all payments stopped till next assessment, even Housing Benefit (I get this paid direct to my housing account as I rent from council)? If monies for benefits ARE paid between my informing them, and my next assessment, will the money have to be paid back to DWP?

Do I need a note from my GP or other health professionals?

Thank you for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #227022 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Changes in circumstances
PP

If the improvement is significant then it is possible that your ESA and PIP will be suspended but the normal practice is for your claims to be reassessed and if this results in a reduction of the award, then it would apply from the date that the Decision is made.

Contact the DWP in writing and I would recommend that you send the letters, you need to contact the ESA and PIP departments separately, by a Tracked post so that you have proof of delivery.

Reporting a Change of Circumstances will result in a full reassessment of your claims, a new ESA50 and PIP2 and almost certainly face to face assessments, the new Decisions will supersede your existing awards, whatever they are.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paper Plane

More
5 years 2 months ago #227052 by Paper Plane
Replied by Paper Plane on topic Changes in circumstances
Many thanks for your reply! Can I please add one or two more questions?
In the time between notifying ESA and PIP, and being assessed, would my existing benefits stop till the next assessment is done and a decision made? Would this include housing benefit? Sorry if I seem to be asking again, I feel worried.
If my improvement was significant, and benefits stopped, would I have to pay anything back? Would it be used as evidence I was slow to report improvement? As I said, my condition is variable.
Do I need GP note? Again, sorry - thank you for your good help.

More
5 years 2 months ago #227076 by Gordon
PP

Your benefits may be stopped to prevent an overpayment, you will have to wait and see what happens.

Providing you report the Change within a reasonable time then I would not expect you to have to pay any benefit back.

No, you don't need a Fit Note but you should speak to your GP about how they can support you while your ESA and PIP are reassessed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #227404 by Paper Plane
Replied by Paper Plane on topic Changes in circumstances
For 227076 reply

Hi Gordon,

I have some rheumatoid arthritis, which has improved with advanced treatment. Please would you guide me as is to what the DWP may think is a reasonable time to inform them?

Claiming benefits is quite a minefield - a relative of mine has offered to let me live with them, and I may not need benefits any longer. Is it possible to just write and stop the claims? Would DWP want to know why? The person I am to live with does not claim any benefits, not even council tax reduction. Thank you.

More
5 years 2 months ago #227438 by Gordon
PP

You are normally required to notify the DWP within 30 days of a Change occurring so it is more a case of your deciding when the Change occurred but if you are saying that you may not qualify for an award now then you should inform them immediately.

Yes, you close your claims but are you certain that you no longer qualify for an award? You will be asked why you want to close your claim.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.