× Members

Assessment Report -- Texting, TV Remote and Gaming

More
4 years 10 months ago #232986 by Flopot
Hello,

An autistic family member who has poor fine motors skills (he cannot reliably peel and chop any veg for example) was declared to have good manual dexterity because he admitted to playing console games and can text his friends. Here is a snippet of his Assessment Report...

"The IO's show functional use of the upper limbs and the SOH shows he can play computer games, operate a TV and text on his mobile phone which would indicate good manual dexterity....it is therefore likely he can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided reliably"

I know for a fact he cannot peel and chop anything reliably. His texting and use of a game controller seems to be false evidence for manual dexterity because he only uses his thumbs for these activities.

The Assessment Report repeats the same "evidence" (literally cutting an pasting the same sentence) for each daily activity, and uses this to state the family member can reliably do all such activities.

I am preparing evidence for his Mandatory Reconsideration so any advice on how to argue using facts against such conclusions? For example, should I take a video of my family member attempting to reliably peel and chop a carrot (a deadly experience btw!)? How can I emphatically state that using a controller is all about thumbs and that is it.

Thanks in advance.

F.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232989 by BIS
Hi Flopot

Your primary task is to show that the family member meets the criteria. There may be more than one reason why he may have failed (including the one you mention) and you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that he walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

Have you got any medical evidence that says about his poor manual dexterity? If you have, make sure you flag it up. Clumsiness is one of the symptoms of autism - have you any old information. You can certainly challenge them on the differences between operating a console and using a knife. Depending on the severity of their autism, you may well be able to argue that they are not safe and reliable.

You can argue cooking a simple meal requires more than fine motor skills, preparing vegetables and ability to assist whether he can do such a thing, planning a meal, timing things. People with autism often struggle with motivation so this makes it difficult to cook in the first place.

Go through every point where she keeps repeating it and see what skills are needed. People with autism find it difficult to use the skills they have!

You can attach some photographs. I doubt they would watch a video.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flopot

More
4 years 10 months ago #232992 by Flopot
Hello,

Thanks again for your prompt response and sorry to be a bother. Would the following text be a suitable reply to show how the Assessor has missed some things regarding my family members gross/fine motor skills (I have removed his name). This example for the "Preparing Food" activity...

He cannot prepare and cook food. The Assessor noted that he can press the buttons on his phone, gamepad and the TV remote. These devices primarily require the use of thumbs to press single buttons, a skill that he possesses. However he has great difficulty with the fine and gross motor skills requireed to prepare food. For example he cannot reliably peel vegetables and is a danger to himself when handling sharp utensils. His Psychological Therapist outlined these motor difficulties in a letter that I again attach.

regards

F.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232997 by BIS
Hi Flopot

In your answer, it sounds as if you are contradicting yourself.

He cannot prepare or cook food due to his lack of fine and gross motor skills - these include using a peeler to peel vegetables and holding and cutting with a knife. He is a danger to himself when handling sharp utensils. His Psychological Therapist outlined these motor difficulties in Letter Appendix A when she/he says " Put in the quote". The Assessor noted that he can press the buttons on his phone, gamepad and the TV remote. These devices primarily require the use of thumbs to press single buttons, a skill that he possesses.

I have changed the order of what you are saying. Put in the quote from the letter. It reminds the reviewer of the letter. If they read them all at the end of your evidence, they are then often iout of context. (I always use quotes from evidence all the way through). There is no information here about who does cook his meals - if you haven't said so you need to.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #233013 by Flopot
Hello,

I thought I would show you the completed (fingers crossed) section. If I haven't made any mistakes then I can complete the rest of the submission based on this approach and not take up any more of your much appreciated time:

"Preparing Food
He has been awarded no points for preparing food.

He cannot prepare or cook food due to his lack of fine and gross motor skills - these include using a peeler to peel vegetables and holding and cutting with a knife. He is a danger to himself when handling sharp utensils. His Psychological Therapist outlined these motor difficulties in Letter Appendix A when she says:

"He has great difficulty with fine and gross motor skills as well as motor planning and sequencing."

and

"He needs his meals cooked for him"

The Assessor noted that he can press the buttons on his phone, gamepad and the TV remote. These devices primarily require the use of thumbs to press single buttons, a skill that he possesses.

The Assessor also noted that he did not receive 1 on 1 support at school. However he was not diagnosed with severe ASD until he was 14 (and at the point of a breakdown) and it was at school that he developed his significant anxiety. His Psychological Therapist highlights this..

"He ruminates excessively, particularly in regard to incidents that occurred in primary school"

Letter Appendix B and Letter Appendix C are medical evidence of his period of diagnosis from 1993 to 1994. In Letter Appendix B dated November 1993, a Clinical Medical Officer says:

"Mrs XXXX tells me that just recently XXXXXX has been diagnosed as having Asperger syndrome, by his Psychologist, XXXXXXXX XXXXXX. This is part of the Autism spectrum..."

And Letter Appendix C dated April 1994, outlines the results of the tests performed by his Clinical Psychologist:

"He has had a recent psychometric assessment by XXXX XXXXX , Consultant Clinical Psychologist which gives results of Verbal IQ of 81, Performance IQ of 65 and Full Scale IQ of 70. He also has additional problems of communication difficulties which are indicative of Aspergers Syndrome"

Letter Appendix D, from an Occupational Therapist to his GP dated November 2004, outlines the limits of his functioning, albeit in difficult to read handwriting:

"needs supervision for nearly all basic needs"

Due to the severity of his ASD and his significant anxiety he is unable to judge when something is cooked and his awareness of this inability also adds to his anxiety.

I believe he should have been awarded 8 points for this activity."

kind regards

F.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233014 by Flopot
Oops! I forgot to add that family members cook his meals for him, his Mother and Brother.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.