× Members

Reviewing of Benefit claim???

More
7 years 9 months ago #165713 by mikegee1968
Replied by mikegee1968 on topic Reviewing of Benefit claim???
Hi I feel compelled to reply to your post. I to had a letter from the DWP Compliance Officer last September and my circumstances are not to dis similar to your son's. Firstly by definition the Compliance Officer has nothing to do with any allegation of benefit fraud. If this was the case your son would have been invited to attend at his local DWP office where an interview under caution would be conducted. From your posts this is not the case.A Compliance interview is either conducted at your home address or at the local DWP office. Mine was conducted at my home address. The Officer who attended from the DWP was both polite and respectful. I showed him my bank statements going back some six months and as a matter of fact He told me exactly and to the penny how much I had in the bank!. He then asked me about a second hand car which I had purchased value £3000. I explained that I had saved the money for the purchase from my DLA and proved that my savings were less than the £6250 ESA limit. It seems from speaking to the Officer that an extremely nasty and vindictive neighbour had informed them that I had purchased a £10,000 car. Absolute rubbish! He advised me that as a matter of course they had to investigate but no further action. So please dont worry hope this helps :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #165850 by Kaz60
Replied by Kaz60 on topic Reviewing of Benefit claim???
Mikeyboy - thank you for your response.. As I have said in previous posts I have never dealt with any benefits before and I am getting myself in a terrible state over this matter...
I cashed in his ISA 3 months before we claimed ESA but On reviewing the ESA form I filled in it does state 'did you have any other saving within the last 6 months' which I said no when in actual fact I should have said yes...
He was still under the £16k but over the £6k before I claimed, but I think he will have an overpayment of benefits. Luckily it won't be too much as he has only received these in the last few months..
The money saved was transferred from our current account every month since he was a baby and was genuinely intended to be used for a car when he was old enough...but I don't suppose they will take that into account...
The annoying thing is I have been told I could have been claiming DLA for my son since he was 5 years old - he is now 21, but was never told...
Do I phone them now and tell them or should I just wait until the interview and tell them then?

More
7 years 9 months ago #165907 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Reviewing of Benefit claim???
Kaz

Wait until the interview, you are making assumptions about what might happen that may not in fact be realised, it is perfectly possible that the DWP will see the car purchase as a reasonable expenditure.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 9 months ago #165952 by Kaz60
Replied by Kaz60 on topic Reviewing of Benefit claim???
I know Gordon but I've been reading on other sites (which is the wrong thing to do and scaring myself to death!!)
If the DWP don't mention it I would feel compelled to tell them anyway because people are saying it could be classed as devrevation of money - which in my mind it wasn't, but can understand that it could be interpreted as that by DWP...
What do you think - when I am at the interview should I just tell them and how would I go about it?

More
7 years 9 months ago #165956 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Reviewing of Benefit claim???

Kaz60 wrote: I know Gordon but I've been reading on other sites (which is the wrong thing to do and scaring myself to death!!)
If the DWP don't mention it I would feel compelled to tell them anyway because people are saying it could be classed as devrevation of money - which in my mind it wasn't, but can understand that it could be interpreted as that by DWP...
What do you think - when I am at the interview should I just tell them and how would I go about it?

I don't think that there is any problem with telling them at the interview.

As to whether it is Deprivation of Capital, the DWP have to decide whether the purchase was made in order to allow the claiming of a benefit, they may have their own view but the purchasing of a car would not normally fall under this heading.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 9 months ago #165979 by mikegee1968
Replied by mikegee1968 on topic Reviewing of Benefit claim???
Hi I agree with Gordan's comments on this one. When I first received my letter my initial thought was to call the DWP to find out what it was all about. Quite frankly I am glad I didnt. Had I done so it may have opened an unwanted ' Can of worms' not that I had done anythihg wrong but I could have mentioned something which may have been mis interpreted for various reasons.Anyway the way I handled the home visit was to be polite but I let the DWP take the lead and do all the talking. I answered only questions asked and did not mention or discuss anything else. I produced bank statements but did not comment on any of the transactions unless specifically asked. I only confirmed details re my car when asked. People in stressful situations can have a habit of talking too much. So please dont try to second guess DWP. Only mention things when asked stick to the point be honest but keep it simple and I am sure you will be fine regards Mike

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.