× Members

Can I apply for ESA

More
5 years 3 months ago #224099 by MyHipsHurt
Can I apply for ESQ was created by MyHipsHurt
Can I apply for ESA if I work less than 16 hours and earn less than £125 per week? I am self-employed and struggling to keep working. I want/need to stop working now and apply for ESA but that's a massive step after 20 years. Or do I keep struggling on as I am and apply on the above basis?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #224128 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can I apply for ESQ
MyHipsHurt

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In principle yes, however, your continuing to work will be considered as part of any assessment and will likely hinder your receiving an award.

Have a look at our ESA Claim guides for details of the criteria you will need to meet.

There is also a guide to Permitted Work, you will need to ask the DWP to consider whether you meet the requirements for this.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MyHipsHurt

More
5 years 3 months ago #224131 by MyHipsHurt
Replied by MyHipsHurt on topic Can I apply for ESA
Thank you very much Gordon.

I am currently in receipt of PIP but my physical and mental health has deteriorated significantly and is unlikely to improve.

I have read as much as I can online, but am still confused about having to have a 'fit note' or 'sick note'. Being self employed I have never had to have one, so for the purposes of applying for ESA, and as they ask for one at the time of application, is there a length of time that the fit/sick note should state, or do I have to get the GP to agree that I am no longer fit enough to work at all for the foreseeable future. (If I hadn't been working from home for all this time I would have had to give up a long time ago).

More
5 years 3 months ago #224137 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can I apply for ESA
MyHipsHurt

Yes, you will need a Fit Note, there's no specific wording that it required, you just need to have one issued.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MyHipsHurt

More
5 years 3 months ago #224294 by MyHipsHurt
Replied by MyHipsHurt on topic Can I apply for ESA
Hello again

If I apply for ESA now (I am in a full service UC area) will that mean that I will then be transferred over to UC? I already claim working tax and child tax credits.

Will the £16k savings limit apply to me? I have worked for 40 years and have full NI contributions.

Thank you.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224315 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can I apply for ESA
MyHipsHurt

If you have paid for Class 2 NI Contributions and have at least 50 weeks of these in both of the Tax Years 2016-17 and 2017-18 then you can apply for New Style ESA, this will not be migrated to Uc.

If you do not have the required NICs then your only option is to apply for UC, you can no longer make a new claim for legacy ESA. UC has a savings limit of £6000 after which there will be deductions from any UC payments and an absolute limit of £16,000 above which you cannot receive UC.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.