× Members

Can I apply for ESA

More
5 years 3 months ago #224875 by MyHipsHurt
Replied by MyHipsHurt on topic Can I apply for ESA
Thank you Gordon.

I have checked online and the last 10 years have all been credits, and previous to that were full contributions. So I take that to mean that I cannot apply for NESA?

If that's the case, what type of ESA can I apply for or is it straight onto UC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224895 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can I apply for ESA
MyHipsHurt

Just to confirm, you had the option as a self-employed person of purchasing Class 2 NI Contributions, did you not do this?

If you didn't then your only option is Universal Credit, however. if you don't mind a short delay then I would still make a claim for NS ESA in case your contribution history is incorrect, the worst that they can do is turn you down.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #224919 by MyHipsHurt
Thank you Gordon.

Sorry I'm not explaining myself very well, mainly due to my current mental health issues.

I have been PAYE all my working life, and the last 20 years I have been 'employed' by the small limited company that I jointly own, so in my mind I am 'self employed' but actually I am still a PAYE employee as far as tax matters are concerned. The accountant sorts out the tax side so all I knew was that the NI was being covered. I have double checked and I have had full contributions up until 10 years ago when I went part time and earned under the tax threshold. So the last 10 years shows NI 'credits'.

So if I apply for NS ESA and they turn me down, will I have to start the process all over again or will they just automatically change the application to UC?

Thank you.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224970 by Gordon
MyHipsHurt

You can actually apply for both at the same time, but if you apply for NSESA first then it would be a separate application for UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MyHipsHurt

More
5 years 3 months ago #225170 by MyHipsHurt
Thank you Gordon.

I have now received my 'fit note' but due to a communication breakdown between the GP and the mental health nurse, it only states for 2 weeks with a return date. Will this suffice for applying for NSESA?

Does it matter that it's only for 2 weeks? I'm seeing my psychologist this week and am wondering whether to ask for her to ask the GP to issue a longer note.

Thank you.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225190 by Gordon
MyHipsHurt

It will be fine but you will have to renew it at the end of the two weeks.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: MyHipsHurt

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.