× Members

Can I apply for ESA

More
5 years 3 months ago #224344 by MyHipsHurt
Replied by MyHipsHurt on topic Can I apply for ESA
Thank you Gordon.

I have the relevant NI contributions for the last two tax years. Are there any savings limits under the New Style ESA?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224351 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Can I apply for ESA

MyHipsHurt wrote: Thank you Gordon.

I have the relevant NI contributions for the last two tax years. Are there any savings limits under the New Style ESA?

No, NESA takes no account of your savings.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: MyHipsHurt

More
5 years 3 months ago #224741 by MyHipsHurt
I have national insurance credits for the last two years (52 weeks for each year). Does that still qualify me for the New style ESA?

When I phone to apply will they ask me any medical type questions?

I would like to backdate my claim to 1st January, which is when I stopped work. Does the 'fit note' have to be backdated to then also?

Many thanks.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224755 by Gordon
MyHipsHurt

Credits or Contributions? In your previous post you said it was the latter, you need Contributions.

The Benefit year changed on Monday 7 January, if you claim before this then the Tax Years are 2015-16 and 2016-17 if you claim on after this date then they are 2016-17 and 2017-18.

If they allow you to make the claim over the phone, I expect they will send you a form to complete then there will be a basic question about your health,

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #224836 by MyHipsHurt
Thank you Gordon.

When I re checked my NI contributions on the Gov website it said I had 52 weeks NI ‘credits’ for the past few years as I have been working part time and therefore not earning as much as I was before I became disabled.

Could you confirm if I can still claim ‘new style’ ESA please. If not would that mean I have to claim UC?

Thank you.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224846 by Gordon
MyHipsHurt

There are two Contribution Conditions that you need to meet.

The first requires that you have at least 26 weeks of NI Contributions in one of the two applicable Tax Years.

The Second requires that you have at least 50 weeks of NI Contributions and/or Credits in both of the applicable Tax Years.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.