× Members

DLA to PIP invitation

More
8 years 1 month ago #153317 by buster21
Replied by buster21 on topic DLA to PIP invitation
Hi Gordon, bro and all

Well my wife took the call from the ATOS "obstetrician" (I had to google what one is). She passed the phone to me, the assessor was fine with this. It's about your daughter's PIP claim he said. He started by asked me to briefly explain a little background history about my daughter's learning disability. He also said he'd never heard of her overall genetic condition.

He then moved on to ask/tell me about when in the kitchen "she can use a cheese grater on her own - is that right?" No I replied she cannot do any form of cooking whatsoever due to the cumulative effects of all her limitations - certainly not reliably or safely. At this point I could detect a little giggle - I wonder why?

Anyway, I was briefly asked about how she performs some of the other descriptors to which I answered - with him just acknowledging with an "OK". Some of the other descriptors - there was no mention of, interestingly. Very interestingly, there was no mention or questions about moving around or following journeys?

There was really only one other instance when I could tell he was trying to score lower, and that was for eating and drinking - he was suggesting the use of a "special aid" - a blunt knife! I said it wouldn't be any use, she would still need help with cutting up food due to her severe visual impairment alone. To which he replied "OK".

There was also a bit of a trick question, I think; he asked can she read a simple sentence (nothing about understanding a simple sentence). To which I replied "no" not any more because of her severe visual impairment, although in the past she could have read such a simple sentence, however, she wouldn't have understood what was being said.

That was about it, the grilling lasted only about 10 or 15 minutes. At the end he said he should be able to pass all the information on to "those who make the PIP decision". Obviously the DWP. Without prompting he also said there should be no need for her to have a face to face assessment but he cannot guarantee it. He said they may ask her to have a home assessment but that it is doubtful. He said we should expect to hear from them within 2 to 6 weeks. Oh really!

Bro, you were right, it would appear that they (ATOS) are indeed carrying out a paper based assessment - although I am not holding my breath.

Who knows with these people? It has been a bizarre day indeed; first the postman delivered an ATOS letter stating she still have to attend one of their centres for an assessment, contrary to her GP's opinion, then we get the phone calls. So, there is still so much uncertainty - I wont be getting the cigars out yet - far from it - more like a stiff drink! I have read of other people similarly being told conflicting information and prematurely rejoicing only to be further confused and disappointed. So we'll just wait and see what they do or ask of us next?????

Many thanks for your help and support and we will of course keep you informed. No doubt there will be other questions and conundrums too. All the best.

I forgot to mention, the ATOS guy told me he'd been in touch with one of my daughter's medical professionals but apparently they were too busy to say much.

Buster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #153323 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic DLA to PIP invitation

buster wrote: Hi Gordon, bro and all

Well my wife took the call from the ATOS "obstetrician" (I had to google what one is). She passed the phone to me, the assessor was fine with this. It's about your daughter's PIP claim he said. He started by asked me to briefly explain a little background history about my daughter's learning disability. He also said he'd never heard of her overall genetic condition.

He then moved on to ask/tell me about when in the kitchen "she can use a cheese grater on her own - is that right?" No I replied she cannot do any form of cooking whatsoever due to the cumulative effects of all her limitations - certainly not reliably or safely. At this point I could detect a little giggle - I wonder why?

Anyway, I was briefly asked about how she performs some of the other descriptors to which I answered - with him just acknowledging with an "OK". Some of the other descriptors - there was no mention of, interestingly. Very interestingly, there was no mention or questions about moving around or following journeys?

There was really only one other instance when I could tell he was trying to score lower, and that was for eating and drinking - he was suggesting the use of a "special aid" - a blunt knife! I said it wouldn't be any use, she would still need help with cutting up food due to her severe visual impairment alone. To which he replied "OK".

There was also a bit of a trick question, I think; he asked can she read a simple sentence (nothing about understanding a simple sentence). To which I replied "no" not any more because of her severe visual impairment, although in the past she could have read such a simple sentence, however, she wouldn't have understood what was being said.

That was about it, the grilling lasted only about 10 or 15 minutes. At the end he said he should be able to pass all the information on to "those who make the PIP decision". Obviously the DWP. Without prompting he also said there should be no need for her to have a face to face assessment but he cannot guarantee it. He said they may ask her to have a home assessment but that it is doubtful. He said we should expect to hear from them within 2 to 6 weeks. Oh really!

Bro, you were right, it would appear that they (ATOS) are indeed carrying out a paper based assessment - although I am not holding my breath.

Who knows with these people? It has been a bizarre day indeed; first the postman delivered an ATOS letter stating she still have to attend one of their centres for an assessment, contrary to her GP's opinion, then we get the phone calls. So, there is still so much uncertainty - I wont be getting the cigars out yet - far from it - more like a stiff drink! I have read of other people similarly being told conflicting information and prematurely rejoicing only to be further confused and disappointed. So we'll just wait and see what they do or ask of us next?????

Many thanks for your help and support and we will of course keep you informed. No doubt there will be other questions and conundrums too. All the best.

I forgot to mention, the ATOS guy told me he'd been in touch with one of my daughter's medical professionals but apparently they were too busy to say much.

Buster

Hi B,

That sounds "most promising" !!! :)

Well done on your perseverance with challenging this issue !! :)

As I keep telling members, "these people" like to "bully" claimants, and do not like claimant's "kicking up a fuss" and threatening to use the law against them !!

They rely on the claimant being vulnerable, ill informed, fearful or too sick to challenge them !! :angry:

Please let us know how things pan out !

Fingers crossed that you have forced them into to seeing sense !!! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153324 by buster21
Thank you bro - lets hope so!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro58

More
8 years 1 month ago #153390 by buster21
Good afternoon Gordon Bro and all

Well the plot thickens - with even more confusion - I even more am baffled! Let me explain!

I have just arrived back home to open 2 letters one from ATOS dated 8th March and the other from the DWP dated 8th March.

Let me begin. The ATOS letter is requesting that my daughter attends a face to face consultation at one of their centres, within our city - with 6 days notice from today. Once again this is obviously contrary to her GP's opinion and recommendation.

The DWP letter says "we need some more information before we can progress your claim for PIP". "What we want you to do" it then goes on to say "Thank you for telling us that you contacted the department requesting a home visit for your daughter". Overleaf it says "You will need to provide us with a letter from your daughter's GP requesting a home visit?". Obviously I have already done this - sent on Tuesday 8th March via recorded post.

In view of what unfolded yesterday - please help guys! Do you have any idea what we should do next? Who should we contact and what should we say?

This whole episode/situation is becoming more bizarre by the day - it's a complete joke!

Many thanks.

Buster

More
8 years 1 month ago #153403 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP invitation
Buster

Given the DWP internal mail system, it's likely that the two letters passed each other, although it might be worth calling to confirm that your letter has in fact been received.

There's only one other thing that I can suggest and that is to involve your MP, ATOS may dig their heels in, but MP's do have an ability to unclog the most blocked of drains.

Contacting your MP

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: buster21

More
8 years 1 month ago #153413 by buster21
Cheers Gordon

I'm waiting for my wife to get home so she can ring DWP and ask them - she'll be passing the phone to me. Incidentally, roof of delivery is not showing up yet on Royal Mail's system.

It sounds to me like there are 2 different processes going on at the same time with no joined up communication. ATOS and DWP?

Regarding the DWP side of things, I think you are right about the 2 letters passing. That is understandable. However, what is baffling is why ATOS have asked that she attends a re-scheduled assessment at one of their buildings even after being told she needs a home assessment; in addition, they said to me only a couple of days ago - the decision to grant a home assessment was up to DWP. Why are they still persisting on this?

To make matters even more confusing, a chap from ATOS (actually it could have been DWP - I need to seek clarification) rang yesterday to carry out what could be described as a phone consultation, stating they would probably be conducting a paper based assessment.

Anyway my wife has arrived home. We'll ring DWP before our next move.

Many thanks

Buster

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.