× Members

Going ahead with tribunal or waiting for new form?

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109477 by grace
Replied by grace on topic DLA Medical Home-Visit
Please help!

Here's a summary of my DLA situation:
My benefits advisor who filled in my form on my behalf isn't keen on detail. I got a decision of no award after 10 days. Because I was waiting for my GP to provide recent medical evidence, and because my advisor said I didn't need to provide past medical reports, the only 'medical' evidence DLA had was my ESA report for which I had scored 0. I obviously appealed and used B&W's guide to provide additional information to the answers, which my advisor had skimped on, and relevant medical evidence to show how long the problems had been going on. I submitted this in June so it's been about 10 weeks that I've been waiting for the reconsideration.

Today I get a letter from Atos that I'm due a medical home-visit! Does this occur with reconsiderations? I thought only with claims. It's for an appointment next Wednesday which is less than 7 days so tomorrow I will phone to rearrange. I was so disappointed when I read the letter. I thought my ESA success into the SG and all the other evidence I'd provided for the reconsideration would've been adequate. It seems to me the only reason for this is because the DM felt like being mean; there's honestly so much valid medical evidence, including recently by my GP, that they have...there's no justification for this home-visit.

I've read the DLA guide about how to prepare for the home-visit. Would someone mind please posting a link here to the questions the doctor is supposed to ask. I had a medical appointment this afternoon so am shattered, also from the stress of this impending home-visit. My mental fatigue and cognitive problems are not going to be able to communicate effectively, so I'm thinking of printing out a list of my health complaints/symptoms and just giving it to the doctor. I just cannot see the point of this visit: I've provided all the info already - why are they making me repeat it verbally when I just won't be able to!!!

I would so appreciate any suggestions or ideas that shed light on my situation...thank you!
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109478 by Gordon
Grace

If you did not have a medical on your original application then it quite usual for one to be requested as part of an reconsideration/appeal, if the DWP had not done so I would have expected a Tribunal panel to have ordered one be carried out.

The following FAQ explains more about the medical and includes a link to the questions that you are likely to be asked.

DLA medical examination

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 8 months ago #109480 by Gordon
Grace

One extra point. You may be aware of this and it is simply bad phrasing in your post, but you exclusively refer to your medical conditions, DLA is awarded for your the care and mobility needs that result from your conditions, this will be what the doctor will be looking at when they come to see you.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109487 by grace
Thanks, Gordon!

I just assumed it was the DWP who ordered this visit because I'd my sent my appeal papers, for reconsideration first, to DLA in Bristol. I thought that my docs are still sitting with them because I haven't had a decision on the reconsideration yet or photocopies of my docs from the TS.

I read on the guide that the doctor starts off asking about our medical conditions (diagnosis, prognosis etc) before going onto mobility and care issues...

Should my expectation be that this report will most likely be inaccurate and have to be challenged? I don't have anyone helping me with this so I'm going to have to do it alone...which makes me more exhausted and ill.

Do you know, from anyone's experience, if the doctor is likely to try get into a 'discussion' with me when I phone to rearrange? Will it be them directly who I speak to or a booking person at Atos (there's no general/helpdesk number - only an 0208 number)?
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109489 by Gordon
Grace

Many of the doctors appear to manage their own diaries so I would not be surprised if it is they who contact you, they should only be interested in arranging the appointment, but do not be afraid to refuse any further discussion if you feel uncomfortable.

As to the report, many are accurate, and some are not, you will have to wait and see what is produced, you should be able to order a copy from the DWP about a week after the appointment.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: grace

More
10 years 8 months ago #109490 by Billy
Hi Grace
It was the Tribunal who sent a Doctor out to see me, on the letter was the Doctors name and phone number, I phoned her to ask if she would make the appointment 1 hour later and there was no problem and did not discuss anything with me

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.