× Members

Going ahead with tribunal or waiting for new form?

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #109496 by grace
Thanks, Bud! You were fortunate…

On my letter there are no telephone numbers at the top; at the bottom it gives the doctor’s name, Atos’ address and an 0208 number. So there’s no way of knowing yet whether the DM or the TS requested it (but doesn’t it sit with the DWP for the reconsideration and only if that’s unsuccessful then it’s passed on to the TS?). As per B&W’s guide, I requested an “appeal” (not an initial “reconsideration”) which includes the reconsideration first. I phoned this morning to rearrange and it was Atos who answered. I know they’re notoriously rude and unhelpful and my person didn’t disappoint. She kept quiet a lot trying to push next Wednesday’s appointment, but I kept repeating myself, “I can’t, and my helper, can’t make that day so what happens?”. She said that they’re having difficulty getting a doctor out to my area which is odd because I live in a city, and said something about my city’s medical examination centre…? I know I have the right to insist it being at my home. I asked what if my helper can’t be here on the new date? She said that we are only offered 2 dates and if I can’t make the second one, then my paperwork will be returned to me, ie my claim/appeal will be rejected. That is atrocious! Not only can my helper not be available next week but I have a medical appointment the next day, which was booked weeks ago, for which I need to rest beforehand in order for me to cope. She said I have to wait for another letter with a new date and she can’t tell me when this will be. She was completely inflexible, offering no help. In the phone call I didn’t think to ask for the doctor to call me. Now there’s the possibility of having a different doctor, I guess.

Any suggestions for what I should do? Anyone heard of this happening and the DM deciding to forego the medical (due to difficulty getting a doctor to my area) and just make a decision? It’s been almost 10 weeks that I’ve been waiting.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109498 by Gordon
Grace

From what you have previously posted this medical has been requested by the DWP, for it to have been the Tribunal Service you would have to have had notification from the DWP that your Reconsideration was unsuccessful and notification from the Tribunal Service that they had received your appeal. Indeed, if it was the TS, then it would be most unusual for them to request one before a hearing was convened as they do not look at your papers until one is scheduled.

ATOS operate a two strike policy for medicals, you can move it once, but if you fail to attend or allow the second one, they will return your file to the DWP as a no show, how the DWP will deal with this I cannot predict, but I think it most likely that they will make a Decision on your Reconsideration based on the currently available evidence, which could well be to uphold the original Decision, this being the case I would expect it to then proceed to an appeal at the Tribunal Service, although, as previously posted I would not be surprised if they were to order a medical when a hearing is heard.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: grace

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110299 by grace
Replied by grace on topic ESA Appeal-Reassessment Date
I wanted to share my incredibly good news: got a letter today that I'll only be reassessed for ESA in 2 years from when I was last reassessed! If anyone's interested, for statistics etc, the reason I had 2 reconsiderations (instead of going to the tribunal hearing) with the 2nd one being successful was due to an error on their part with my initial appeal request: long story short they ended up sending out a letter to me asking for more evidence ON THE SAME DAY that another person was deciding that my 1st reconsideration was unsuccessful. Only one descriptor was included on the LT54 although I clearly met others too and Reg 35.

Just wanted to ask: when they say "since last reassessed" do you think they're meaning when I was sent my ESA50 last year or the date of my medical assessment? (I want to put it in my calendar minus 2 months because that's when they usually send the ESA50 out).

Thanks, again, for everyone's advice and knowledge!!!
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110300 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Appeal-Reassessment Date

grace wrote: I wanted to share my incredibly good news: got a letter today that I'll only be reassessed for ESA in 2 years from when I was last reassessed! If anyone's interested, for statistics etc, the reason I had 2 reconsiderations (instead of going to the tribunal hearing) with the 2nd one being successful was due to an error on their part with my initial appeal request: long story short they ended up sending out a letter to me asking for more evidence ON THE SAME DAY that another person was deciding that my 1st reconsideration was unsuccessful. Only one descriptor was included on the LT54 although I clearly met others too and Reg 35.

Just wanted to ask: when they say "since last reassessed" do you think they're meaning when I was sent my ESA50 last year or the date of my medical assessment? (I want to put it in my calendar minus 2 months because that's when they usually send the ESA50 out).

Thanks, again, for everyone's advice and knowledge!!!

Many congratulations

The two years should be from the date of the original Decision minus two months, or you could take it as two years from when you received the ESA50 without the two months being taken off.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #110301 by grace
Replied by grace on topic ESA Appeal-Reassessment Date
Gordon, are you absolutely sure about those dates? My first decision said "Re-refer in 9 months" but this one says "Re-refer 2 years from date of assessment" - wouldn't they have said "...from decision"?
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 7 months ago #110305 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Appeal-Reassessment Date

grace wrote: Gordon, are you absolutely sure about those dates? My first decision said "Re-refer in 9 months" but this one says "Re-refer 2 years from date of assessment" - wouldn't they have said "...from decision"?

The re-assessment date is determined by DWP procedure, not the ESA legislation, so they can use whatever date they want, so if you want to set your date by the Assessment date that is OK.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: grace

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.