× Members

Going ahead with tribunal or waiting for new form?

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111950 by grace
Replied by grace on topic DLA Questions
Does anyone know:

1) What the "Disputes Spur W" department at DLA Bristol is?

2) What the rules are about receiving DLA whilst in hospital (NHS or private)?

Many thanks for any help!
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111953 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic DLA Questions
I'm afraid I have no idea what Disputes Spur W" department at DLA Bristol is, and I was a DLA Tribunal Member for 10 years before retiring. Also tried 'Google' but no results.

You could ring the DLA Unit in Blackpool and they may be able to help. Tel: 08457 123456

For information about payment of DLA whilst in hospital, see Going in to hospital

Good luck.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law).
The following user(s) said Thank You: grace

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #111957 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Questions

grace wrote: Does anyone know:

1) What the "Disputes Spur W" department at DLA Bristol is?

2) What the rules are about receiving DLA whilst in hospital (NHS or private)?

Many thanks for any help!

Sorry, I cannot find a link for "Disputes Spur W", I assume that it is an internal department name.

Time spent in a private hospital, where the NHS make no contribution to your care does not count.

In broad terms the rules for DLA are that any stay in hospital of more than 28 days will result in both the Care and Mobility payments being stopped although you remain eligible for DLA.

Periods in hospital separated by less 28 days or less will be linked, so if you are in hospital for one week, go home and then are in hospital for another week, two week later, this will count as two weeks.

The day you enter hospital and the day you leave are not counted, so if you go in on a Friday and leave on the following Monday, this counts as two days.

You are required to inform the DWP of any stay in hospital.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grace

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #115069 by grace
Replied by grace on topic DLA Payment Questions
After my appeal going to the TS another DM got involved and awarded me DLA. Their decision letter said I would be paid in 3-4 working days but it's now been 2 weeks. I returned their forms re bank details and hospital stays a week ago but they haven't 'received' it yet. Two friends who won their DLA appeals at a tribunal hearing were paid within a week; neither had to complete these forms. One, for her ESA, wasn't paid for weeks and when she phoned up they said Oh yes...like they had forgotten and she was paid the very next day. My friend phoned DLA on my behalf and was told that it takes 10 days to process the forms and 5-7 days for the money to clear with the bank...but this contradicts my friends' situations! My friend confirmed that my bank details haven't changed since those on my claim form and said I haven't stayed in an NHS hospital. The DLA person said it's unlikely I will be paid before Christmas!!!

Is there any way I can get my money FAST? They are purposely stalling as it's a large amount of backdated money they owe me.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #115071 by
Replied by on topic DLA Payment Questions

grace wrote: After my appeal going to the TS another DM got involved and awarded me DLA. Their decision letter said I would be paid in 3-4 working days but it's now been 2 weeks. I returned their forms re bank details and hospital stays a week ago but they haven't 'received' it yet. Two friends who won their DLA appeals at a tribunal hearing were paid within a week; neither had to complete these forms. One, for her ESA, wasn't paid for weeks and when she phoned up they said Oh yes...like they had forgotten and she was paid the very next day. My friend phoned DLA on my behalf and was told that it takes 10 days to process the forms and 5-7 days for the money to clear with the bank...but this contradicts my friends' situations! My friend confirmed that my bank details haven't changed since those on my claim form and said I haven't stayed in an NHS hospital. The DLA person said it's unlikely I will be paid before Christmas!!!

Is there any way I can get my money FAST? They are purposely stalling as it's a large amount of backdated money they owe me.

Hi G,

Options :

Ring the 0845 number, and escalate as a complaint to a supervisor, request a call back.

Complain in writing : Complaining to The DWP

Complain to your M.P. : Contacting your MP

I would have been surprised if you had have been paid within 3-4 working days.

With Xmas fast approaching, I cannot say whether any of the above would work.

Obviously, the written approach can be a long drawn out process.

"Pester Power" may have the desired affect, with the threat of a formal complaint.

Good Luck !!! :)

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #115081 by grace
Replied by grace on topic DLA Payment Questions
Thanks, bro58. I'm too ill to phone myself and my friend who phoned a couple of times already is now too busy at work to phone.

Does anyone else have any recent experience of being paid backdated DLA? How long did it take? Is it standard to receive these forms (asking for bank details and hospital stays to be confirmed)...my 2 friends (above) never received them!?

Also, has anyone ever sought and succeeded in getting accrued interest on the backdated amount? With most other organisations we would insist on that but with this giant monster called the DWP I think most people are too afraid to confront them, or too ill to do so.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.