× Members

LIBRA1's PIP Queries Topic !!!

More
8 years 5 months ago #144977 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Received DWP letter no decision yet - PIP

Mrs. Medlam wrote: I too am transferring from Dla to Pip phoned the 13th Nov for phone interview told I would have 30 days to fill in " how your diss affects you" from when I received it. Well got the brown envelope on Sat 21st and I have until the 13th Dec to return it so only 22 days to get it back , plus the 13th is a Sunday so will have to post it by the 9th at the latest so they get it. Too much pressure on people and not enough time. Really stressing now.

You can phone and ask for an extension, at the moment these seem to be granted without any fuss.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• libra1
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
8 years 3 months ago #147270 by libra1
Replied by libra1 on topic Received DWP letter no decision yet - PIP
I am in the process of completing my PIP2 form. I have bipolar affective disorder which is a fluctuating condition and my fluctuations occur over months rather than days. However, because of the side effects of my strong anti-psychotics and anti-depressants, for the majority of days (4 out of 7), I am affected in some activities and have limited abilities.

My difficulties are to do with preparing food, eating, managing and monitoring medication, washing, dressing and engaging with others face to face as far as the daily living component is concerned and going out and needing help planning a journey or completing a journey when severely ill as far as the mobility component is concerned.

I still have a copy of my old DLA form where the questions about activities were straight yes or no questions, with room to elaborate and go into detail. However, PIP2 asks you to tick yes, no or sometimes. Given that my underlying health condition manifests as fluctuating limitations, do I answer yes or do I answer sometimes?

The reason I am asking is that I have seen advice elsewhere which encourages me to answer yes and then explain the fluctuation in the extra information box asked for with the question. Is this right? Or, is sometimes meant to be the tick box that deals with variable limitations and fluctuating conditions?

Thank you.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147296 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Received DWP letter no decision yet - PIP
Libra

The first comment I would make is that you must stop thinking of this in DLA terms, PIP has very different assessment criteria and the assessment process is fundamentally different from DLA.

All PIP activities must be done reliably and for the majority of days for you not to score points so you need to factor this in to your responses.

If you cannot do an activity reliably and on the majority of days then you should mark that you cannot do it.

If you can sometimes do a task, even after you apply reliably and the majority of days then you should say so and explain how often this is and the circumstances under which you can.

Finally, do not feel constrained by the PIP2 form, If the tick boxes do not reflect the way that you are effected for a particular activity then simply mark them "not applicable. see below" and provide a more detailed explanation of how you are limited in the comments box or attached pages as necessary.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: dropfog, libra1, LilacGem, Pensioner01, susannelawrence

• libra1
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
8 years 3 months ago #147361 by libra1
Thank you Gordon.

As the activities and descriptors which are relevant to me affect me for the majority of days (months of the year in terms of bipolar episodes, and days of the week in terms of debilitating side effects from my medication), then I decided to tick the 'yes' box rather than 'sometimes'. Your comment was very helpful. It becomes obvious from my details given in the extra box whether that is correct or not. The advice I have read elsewhere is that one should always tick the 'yes' box as the evidence from ATOS/DWP's dealings with ESA is that if you tick the 'sometimes/it varies' box, it is discounted. Maybe, that is just unfounded but I don't want to risk an HP not bothering to read on.

I find PIP's criteria exceptionally confusing.

I have completed my PIP2 form now and put together all my medical evidence (I got an OKish letter from my GP but included other letters over the last few years which gives consistent evidence of my difficulties and paints a picture - showing fluctuations) and additional letters from family who care for me and it goes in the post by guaranteed next day delivery tomorrow morning to meet my 9th January deadline - I assume their offices are closed on Saturday and don't sign for post.

I am not hopeful of getting an award, however, with all that I have been reading elsewhere because unless you are actively ill from a mental health condition at the time of applying, not just debilitated by it over time on a regular basis, I fail to see how you can even qualify because of the activities chosen by the DWP and the Secretary of State as being relevant to independent living. They ignored recommendations to weight and add more features to them by the Royal College of Psychiatrists. It is skewed in favour of physical disabilities, in my view.

Happy new year and thanks for your help.

• libra1
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147503 by libra1
I have had a text today from the DWP to say they have received my PIP2 so I got it in just in time for the extended 2 week deadline they gave me.

I want to think ahead about my financial position. At the moment I am self-employed on working tax credits with the disabled worker element and the severe disability element. I also am eligible for the enhanced premium with my housing benefit. My income from self-employment is very low. I only work at home for 16 hours per week.

I know that my DLA will remain in payment for 4 weeks after any DWP decision. If I get a negative decision, will my passported benefits also remain in payment for those 4 weeks or do they cease from the date of the DWP decision?

If they do, then it seems unfair as the point of the extra 4 weeks is to give time to adjust to the income change.

Thank you for any help.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147505 by

libra1 wrote: I have had a text today from the DWP to say they have received my PIP2 so I got it in just in time for the extended 2 week deadline they gave me.

I want to think ahead about my financial position. At the moment I am self-employed on working tax credits with the disabled worker element and the severe disability element. I also am eligible for the enhanced premium with my housing benefit. My income from self-employment is very low. I only work at home for 16 hours per week.

I know that my DLA will remain in payment for 4 weeks after any DWP decision. If I get a negative decision, will my passported benefits also remain in payment for those 4 weeks or do they cease from the date of the DWP decision?

If they do, then it seems unfair as the point of the extra 4 weeks is to give time to adjust to the income change.

Thank you for any help.

Hi l1,

Any other benefits/premiums that you receive as a result of receiving DLA will remain in payment for the 4 weeks whilst you are still receiving DLA.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.