× Members

LIBRA1's PIP Queries Topic !!!

More
8 years 3 months ago #149078 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Received DWP letter no decision yet - PIP
Libra

I used to catastrophize a lot and I am still prone to doing so but it doesn't really help!

Give us the serenity to accept what cannot be changed,
The courage to change what can be changed,
and the wisdom to know the one from the other

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: dropfog, libra1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149084 by libra1
Replied by libra1 on topic Received DWP letter no decision yet - PIP
Thank you Orangeblossom. That is encouraging. I don't have a Care Plan or involvement with mental health services at all. I have been discharged to my GP. I rely on care from him and my family. I provided evidence from them with my PIP2.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149086 by libra1
Gordon, I know that prayer like a mantra. It helps. Sometimes. Thank you. :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #149236 by petrocelli
Replied by petrocelli on topic Received DWP letter no decision yet - PIP
Hi Libra

I wish, like so many others and probably yourself that, the DWP and IDS fully understood the MH system and that maybe one day, the DWP would reflect such in their expectations and forms.

Kind regards

P
The following user(s) said Thank You: libra1

More
8 years 3 months ago #149327 by libra1
Hi Petrocelli

Mental health somehow does not attract the same understanding as physical disability, particularly as there is a fine line between not being able to do something and it appearing as though you don't want to do it. Over the years, mainly during depressive episodes, I cannot count the number of times when being encouraged to eat, cajoled to exercise, dress or wash that those caring for me lose patience and snap that I just need to pull myself together or 'meet me half way.' How do you explain that with all your heart and mind you want to but you can't? You just can't. One day blurs into the next and you cannot get out of bed. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Physically, you can do things but if you try, you might get part way through it and have to give up from the effort, exhaustion and futility. Just now, I am managing to brush my teeth and wash my face every morning and it is a novelty. I am proud of myself. I am middle aged and such a thing which any 5 year old will do (for many months lost to me) makes me proud. It's sad.

I fail to see how any disability analyst (health professional) without mental health training or expertise is able to judge/assess whether you have difficulties or not. I really don't see the point of requiring a f2f assessment of mental health claimants if there is medical or other evidence from professionals or carers who can detail your limitations. How is an assessor supposed to in minutes and hours gainsay that? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree with you Petrocelli, the DWP's expectations and forms don't adequately reflect the reality of mental health difficulties. As for IDS, he has plans to create a new category of ESA for mental health claimants to be put into a group where 'work is good for you'. Apparently, nearly half of ESA claimants have 'depression and anxiety' and work is a cure-all. How very puritanical. Pathetic, isn't it.

Thanks for your good wishes.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149413 by petrocelli
Replied by petrocelli on topic Received DWP letter no decision yet - PIP
:woohoo:

Hey Libra

If I hear hard work one more time by the Conservatives………….I can’t print my reaction, however, I’ve made myself a promise that, if I get through this blasted reassessment, I’ll write to Cameron and Co and let them know that my MH prob’s were as a result of overwork!!!!!!!!!!Too many jobs, too little pay equals more and more hours to pay for the roof over my head. I’m not work shy. I have, however, been to such a bottomless pit of depression, I’d never have guessed possible.

To say nothing of the years of struggle to crawl back up…………………now, like many, I want to protect my MH as best I can, in order that I don’t go that far down again……………..good health, mental and or physical is a priceless acquisition and the fear of rocking the boat, indescribable!

As with most things in life, most people only get their wake up calls when they too, go through something similar……………………..otherwise, ignorance is bliss eh?!

Kind regards

P
:pinch:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.