× Members

LIBRA1's PIP Queries Topic !!!

More
8 years 1 month ago #154065 by vivi
Replied by vivi on topic LIBRA1's PIP Queries Topic !!!
Hi Libra

I hope you get your award soon. I have just returned my PIP form for mental health problems,
and know I that I am in for a long and anxious wait before I hear anything.

I am praying not to be called for a face to face assessment, my GP has backed me up in writing for a paper-based assessment, but they might not take any notice. I noticed that you didn't have to go to a face to face, so I might also be lucky.

All the best

Vivienne
The following user(s) said Thank You: libra1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156492 by libra1
Replied by libra1 on topic LIBRA1's PIP Queries Topic !!!
Hello Gordon and bro58 and Mrs Hurtyback,

Good news. I just got my decision letter in my transfer from DLA to PIP, dated 13th April 2016. As expected, I got awarded standard daily living PIP and no award for mobility, in line with the ATOS report. I have been given a 3 year award, with a 2 year review point in January 2018.

As you may remember, my fixed DLA award expired in mid March but I got a letter extending it for a year pending my PIP decision.

Problem - the letter says contradictory things about when my DLA award ends and my PIP award begins.

The letter says that my DLA must be paid for 4 weeks regardless of the decision. However, the letter is only awarding me 3 weeks of DLA from the date of the decision letter. My PIP then begins the following day, after that. So, even though the letter says I am entitled to 4 weeks DLA (higher rate care, lower rate mobility), I will only get 3 weeks until my money drops from £104.10 per week to £55.10 per week. There are knock on effects to my passported benefits - no enhanced disability premium as part of my housing benefit applicable amount and no severe disability element of working tax credits. In all this is a loss of income of about £300 per month. I thought you were given 4 weeks DLA after a PIP decision as a must, not a discretion, to allow for the adjustment in income.

I have phoned the DWP today to query it and was told the case manager would give me a call back within 24 hours (within working hours), so by Monday.

Has the decision maker made a mistake in only awarding 3 weeks more DLA instead of 4?

Thank you.

Libra1

PS: Of course, I should also like to thank you all for your advice and help with my queries and your excellent guides to help me through this tense and difficult process. I wouldn't have got my award without your help. So thank you! :)

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156531 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic LIBRA1's PIP Queries Topic !!!
Libra

Congratulations on the award and thank you for your comments.

As you don't appear to have included the dates from the letter I can't really comment on the overlap between your finishing DLA and starting PIP, nut it's a matter that you will have to raise with them, so calling them will be a good start. You might want to ask for a call back from a manager as I would not expect the call centre staff to be able to help you with this matter.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156583 by libra1
Hello Gordon,

The decision letter was dated 13th April. It said my DLA would end on 3rd May. It said my PIP would commence on 4th May. So, that is 3 weeks of DLA from the date of the decision, rather than 4 weeks.

Hope that answers your question. The call centre operator told me I would get a call back from the case manager.

Just wondering why the DLA payment is not for a further 4 weeks from the date of the decision.

Thank you.

Libra1

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156632 by libra1
Update:

A really nice lady from the DWP (not a case manager) called back to explain that even though the letter was dated 13th April, the decision was made on 2nd April and it took a while to process a letter out to me.

So much for the 4 weeks notice to adjust to change in income and knock-on effects on other benefit entitlements... when they don't contact you in time to make use of the adjustment period fully.

Strangely, she also said I should ask for a MR as I was 1 point short of the enhanced rate, after I discussed not getting 4 points for needing prompting to eat in severe depression. She was not a decision maker but she said the issue would go to someone higher up than the original decision maker.

She couldn't have been nicer.. but I am frightened of losing the whole award if I ask them to look at it again, even though I know I could get a letter from my GP as evidence of the drastic weight loss at the end of last year as a result of my appetite loss/loss of motivation to eat when my episode was severe.

Thank you, once again, for your site's and all your advisors' invaluable help.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156668 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic LIBRA1's PIP Queries Topic !!!
Libra

It sounds as if the letter was improperly drafted as the date on the Decision Letter is taken as the date of the Decision unless another date is specified in the letter.

As to the MR, it has to be your decision. If you scored 11 points then your award may be secure if you do, but you need to consider how likely you are to score the extra points for the Enhanced award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: libra1

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.