Important! It is no longer possible for claimants aged between 16 and state pension age to make a new claim for DLA. People in this age should make a claim for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Learn what will happen at a disability living allowance medical, including what questions are likely to be asked. Plus, download a copy of the actual report form the doctor will complete. Improve the chances of accurate information being written by the doctor and know how to challenge it if it's wrong.
Will I have to have a medical?
There’s no way of knowing when you make a claim for disability living allowance whether you will be asked to have to have a medical or not. If you are asked and refuse, however, your claim for disability living allowance will automatically be turned down.
Atos (now known as IAS) and Capita health professionals are paid a fee of over £100 for each disability living allowance medical they carry out. Yet many people report that the health professional seemed in a rush, stayed only a very short time and wasn’t interested in what they had to say. Some found the health professional positively rude.
Others say that although the health professional seemed sympathetic and encouraging, they later discovered that the disability living allowance medical report was very dismissive of their needs.
Only Benefits and Work provides members with:
- Details of how to ensure you get proper notice of a medical visit, rather than a phone call the night before;
- A copy of the medical report the health professional will complete;
- A list of the questions the health professional is likely to ask you;
- A highly effective Medical Visit Record Sheet for you and your accompanying person to complete and use as evidence at a tribunal if necessary;
- Details of the ‘oral warning’ thehealth professional may issue you with if you take notes;
- Information about some health professional habit of ‘searching’ your home.
Challenging a medical report
If the health professional does write an inaccurate and unhelpful disability living allowance medical report which leads to you not getting the correct award, or any award at all, we can help with that too.
Our guide to the Best Possible Ways to Challenge a DLA or AA medical report is a unique tool, with detailed sections on challenging every stage of the medical report process. It is written for claimants, but contains a great deal that will save time and provide fresh ideas for even experienced welfare rights workers involved with appeals.
A health professional's report can be extremely damaging to your claim. But become a Benefits and Work member you will be well prepared both for the visit and for an appeal if that is necessary.
Existing members can download all our disability living allowance medical resources