× Members

Phantom ESA50 to Medical as marked 'Mental Health'

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114701 by axel71
Hi all, I'm trying to help my neighbour deal with the sudden absurdity of a 'phantom' transfer from IB to ESA. He's often unaware of his surroundings, unable to communicate effectively due to illness and social services abandoned him :(

In November 2013 he received a medical non-attendance form BF223, despite having received no notification his benefit was changing, no ESA50, no reminder and no medical appointment. Three witnesses including himself and I, didn't see any ATOS or DWP envelopes for him in the communal post since June 2013. On phoning the ESA re-assessments the staff gave dates on the system of correspondence raised; 6th June migrating letter, 9th July ESA50, and later a medical appointment.

We filled in and returned the BF223 on the grounds no notification was received that his benefit was changing and the claimant is often unaware of his surroundings due to illness.

We phoned last week for an update and were told the reasons for non-attendance have been accepted by a DM and a further medical appointment to be arranged in due course.

The staff then said she would ask her supervisor to access a separate computer system related to ATOS. Upon phoning us back she informed us the system states a completed ESA50 had been received by ATOS from my neighbour on 12th July, who disputed he received and filled one in. I replied the other computer system states an ESA50 was sent out on 9th July, so an impossible feat for the form to arrive, complete and return it to ATOS all within 3 days. We were advised to write in to request a copy of the phantom completed ESA50 so we could dispute it.

I then realized I'd forgotten the name of the staff and name of the database, to refer to when writing a Subject Access Request. In a further hour phone call different staff denied the existence of the previous information, we were told a blank ESA50 can be sent out to complete but cannot guarantee it's completion will stop the new medical appointment, and that we should still write in requesting a copy of any ESA50 previously sent in despite not having done so.

Then in another call the staff were more helpful and gave revealing information, but still nothing which justified their dates of a ESA50 sent out, completed, returned all within 3 days.
I was provided with the names of previous staff, times and call centres in my calls and that the database which states a completed ESA50 had been received on 12th July is called the 'MSRS system', and that 'the transfer has been marked as received to process the case because the claimant has been marked as having mental health problems'. Also they stated that the system entry stating 'case referred to medical services' on 9th July 'can mean an ESA50 issued, but not necessarily if the claimant is marked as having mental health problems'.

I replied the situation hasn't given the claimant chance to communicate his claim in writing and attach supporting medical evidence, as he doesn't have anyone to attend a medical with him to help him communicate. The response was fill an ESA50 in by all means, but no guarantee it will stop a new medical appointment.

I've not been able to find any information on what to do in such a situation, and also not sure whether to send a completed ESA50 to ATOS and/or the local BDC.

Please can anyone advise on whether we would be wise to complete an ESA50 and where to send it given the above situation ?, and;

Can anyone confirm whether there is now an official practice of sending IB transfers straight to medical without an ESA50 if they are 'marked as having mental health problems' ? :-

I wish to take this opportunity to thank all B&W staff for your tireless help and devotion to this site which I find an essential resource.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114706 by Puccalove
I have experienced claimants going straight from IB to ESA without a medical usually into the support group but not without a form and with a medical. This I agree is inappropriate and is a concerning case as it severely limits the claimants ability to advocate themselves adequately. I would definitely fill in the form and suggest taking the form along to the medical but keeping a copy in case it goes 'missing'. I would also request a copy of the 'phantom' form and would be very interested to hear what comes back!
The following user(s) said Thank You: axel71

More
10 years 4 months ago #114709 by Gordon
survival

Is there any possibility that your neighbour simply put the uncompleted form into the supplied envelope and sent it straight back to ATOS?

In regard to getting a copy of this form, you need to address your request to ATOS as they will still have his file, you can make a subject Access Request, but this allows ATOS 40 calendar days to respond which I would be concerned that they may take, so I would be tempted to just make a written request in the hope that it is serviced immediately, if this doe not happen then send the SAR.

It has always been the case that where an ESA50 is not received and the claimant has mental health issues then ATOS can proceed directly to an assessment, even though this may disadvantage them.

An ESA50 in itself will almost never prevent the requirement for a face to face, evidence attached to it may, but not the form on its own. The most reliable way to avoid one is for the claimants GP to write to ATOS explaining why they cannot attend, although this may simply result in a home assessment.

That said, I would still complete one and return it at the earliest opportunity, see if the GP is willing to get involved.

If your neighbour is a bad as you suggest, especially if they are not fully aware of their conditions, then attending an assessment on their own is very unlikely to be to their advantage.

Finally, I would try and get face to face advice, trained Welfare Advisors often have routes into the DWP that the public do not, and may be able to help this be managed in a more sensible manner.

Where to get advice?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114723 by axel71
Thank you both Puccalove and Gordon for your advise.

The staff in the last phone call did also comment that a completed ESA50 won't exist and thought it would be pointless requesting a copy.

The worrying bit was he stated there won't be a returned ESA50 and it's because they marked him as having mental health problems so they decided to send him straight to medical. So an action / procedure they've executed singling out a particular type of health problem. Despite it preventing evidence in writing and leaving the vulnerable claimant even more defenceless. Although irrelevant, if they are making pre-emptive assumptions he could not fill in an ESA50 then of course why send a BF223.

Ok we'll write to Atos requesting a copy of the file in any case, and let you know of any outcome. Will we then also receive a SAR form to fill in.

We have a letter from his GP we can use that was going to be forwarded later in defence of the reasons given in the BF223, and in it, it says the wording "unfit for any work related activity", which was previously used successfully for straight into SG on another neighbour and on appeal on someone else into SG. So we'll also fill in a downloadable ESA50 and take it to medical with the GP letter attached, and keep copies.

Thanks again
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114726 by axel71
Sorry Gordon - forgot to say - he's adamant he didn't get the questionnaire, and since services abandoned him he has brought any forms to us, his neighbours to deal with. We also see the communal mail before he gets up. Thanks.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114727 by Gordon
Survival

As ATOS only hold claimant documents during an assessment we have very little experience of how they will handle a request for the ESA50, I am hoping that they will simply service the request and send out a copy by return of post, but it is possible that they will invoke a formal procedure requiring a SAR, also, if they do not return the ESA50 within a reasonable period you may want to invoke the procedure yourself.

Any request must be made in the name of the claimant, unless you have legal authority to act on their behalf, otherwise you cannot request their information.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: axel71

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.