× Members

Going from ESA Support Group/MR Care back to work

• Dan
  • Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114955 by Dan
Hi everyone this is my first post here, looks to be a great source of advice so onto my question. Basically I am currently in the ESA Support Group and recieving middle rate care for my mental disibilities which range from adult ADHD to anxiety and panic disorder with frequent bouts of depression. I am at the point now where I feel suicidal and spend all of my time alone in my flat which is just making my mental health worse.

I want to start applying for jobs but i am worried that my benefits will be stopped as they will see my applying/starting a job as evidence I am fully capable to enter the working world (which I am very unsure if i am)

Ideally I would like to start applying for part-time work and see how i go for a number of months whilst still recieving my benefits to see if I am capable enough.

I am unsure of my options at the moment as to what to do and how to go about it so any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
dan
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114961 by Gordon
Dan

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'll break down your options by benefit.

You cannot work and continue to receive ESA, however, you can perform Permitted Work.

Permitted Work

PW will allow you to work for up to 16 hours a week and earn £99.50 per week in addition to your ESA payment (I believe that this has now increased to just over £100), see below.

If you want to work more than 16 hours or earn more than the Higher Earning Limit then you will need to closed your ESA claim before starting.

DLA is not affected by whether you work or not, how many hours that you work or how much you earn, see below.

You need to be aware that whilst your working or doing PW will not in itself be reason to re-assess your ESA or DLA, the work that you do, if it contradicts the limitations you have previously specified on your claim forms, can lead to an assessment. So, as a silly example; if you claim ESA and DLA in part due to mobility problems and take a job as a postman delivering the mail, then you should expect the DWP to query whether you are still eligible for your benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 4 months ago #114964 by slugsta
To add to Gordon's excellent advice -

Only DWP can decide whether the work you wish to do will be classed as 'Permitted'

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 4 months ago #114973 by Evelyn
May I ask Mrs H whether it is wise to give DWP a call and discuss this or check with CAB in case this triggers a reassessment?

More
10 years 4 months ago #114978 by slugsta
It's a difficult situation Evelyn. You must make sure that DWP will class your work as permitted, otherwise you could land yourself in trouble :( It is unlikely, I think, that this would trigger a reassessment but it could count against you when you are reassessed.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114982 by Evelyn
I have not got a job but I wonder if I could ask DWP what job they would consider I can do that is permitted work.
I don't think it is a good idea, is it?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.