× Members

Help for deaf people

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115900 by mintdrop
Help for deaf people was created by mintdrop
Am needing some help filling in DLA renewal form, I am deaf, which is a disability that is not seen.
Yes to look at me i am a normal person, However the affects of physical and mental problems i have are very real.....I started loosing my hearing in later life and over the years has got worse. Have now %60 low frequency loss in both ears and %100 high frequency loss in both ears.
Wearing hearing aids do not give you your hearing back they just amplify sounds.

Lynda
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115903 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Help for deaf people
Hi Mintdrop,

I assume you have seen, if not used, our DLA guides?

This message contains confidential information

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

More
10 years 3 months ago #115905 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic Help for deaf people
Mint drop, could you be more specific about the info you are looking for?

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #115952 by mintdrop
Replied by mintdrop on topic Help for deaf people
I would like to know if deafness is classed as a disability? Living in a very silent world
Would like some help with what i could write to DLA to ask them to reconsider my DLA payment, as the form i filled out for DLA was rejected I have one month to reply to them.
I know how it affects me but am having difficulty putting it into words.
I followed advise on this site but did not help me......For the past 10 yrs i have been able to claim
DLA with no problem
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 3 months ago #115955 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help for deaf people

mintdrop wrote: I would like to know if deafness is classed as a disability? Living in a very silent world
Would like some help with what i could write to DLA to ask them to reconsider my DLA payment, as the form i filled out for DLA was rejected I have one month to reply to them.
I know how it affects me but am having difficulty putting it into words.
I followed advise on this site but did not help me......For the past 10 yrs i have been able to claim
DLA with no problem

Whilst deafness is classed a disability, being deaf does not specifically qualify you for DLA.

DLA is awarded because of the Care or Mobility requirements a person has because of their conditions, so you need to explain what problems you need assistance with in your daily living that result from your deafness.

Two specific areas are covered in regard to deafness, first you ability to go out alone and the problems you would have going to an unfamiliar place if you needed to ask for directions (Question 33), and secondly, communicating with others in regard to your care needs (Question 45).

You say you have previously been awarded DLA, the obvious question is what has changed between this application and your previous ones, as the DLA Regulations are substantially the same. Do you have your previous claim forms? It would be worth looking at these to understand what the differences are, it may be as simple as how you have phrased this response rather than the detailed content.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 3 months ago #115956 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic Help for deaf people
DLA is designed for people who need help with day to day activities such as going out, cooking, communicating. If you need help, supervision or encouragement with any activities on the DLA form (or would benefit from help) you should describe what help you need in a letter stating that you wish them to reconsider your claim. You should seek medical evidence to confirm this. You should also seek advice from an organisation such as CAB.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.