× Members

PIP

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117590 by les
PIP was created by les
My grandaughter has just been awarded PIP. care at standard rate 11 points but only 4 mobility points so no rate given. While we are glad she has been awarded something we did think she would achieve the enhanced rate of care and standard mobility. Thinking of appealing but afraid they might take everything away from her
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117599 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP
Hi L,

You can appeal but, as you have identified, it is possible to end up worse off! However, the Tribunal Service are supposed to tell you if they are querying the claimant's eligibility to the benefit so that the appeal can be withdrawn. I believe you would have to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration first but payment would continue.

On another topic, I see that your username might be your real name. If you wish to change your username in order to maintain an element of anonymity, you can do it by following the advice in this FAQ.

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

If you have further questions please post them here as it does help us if everything is kept in the same place. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark it, or make it a favourite, on your web browser now

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117603 by les
Replied by les on topic PIP
when you say the tribunal would have to inform you i dont understand what that means is this after you apply to them for appeal they would have to tell you if eligibilty was in question sorry does that make sense? Its the 11 points for care as well 1 point out for enhanced rate
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

More
10 years 2 months ago #117605 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP
On the day of the Tribunal, when you are in the building, the panel should warn you if they are thinking of looking at the whole award and reducing it. Then you would withdraw your appeal and leave well alone!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 2 months ago #117606 by les
Replied by les on topic PIP
oh right i thought they always looked at the whole award anyway at the tribunal .I didnt realise that they dont always look at the whole award. There are a number of things that have been said that we dont agree with in the assessment stage so not sure what to do for the best.Is it better to seek proper benefits advise. also if we go for a reconsideration is there also then a chance that the whole award can be withdrawn?

More
10 years 2 months ago #117608 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic PIP
I think you may have misunderstood Mrs Hurtybacks post. They would usually look at the whole award. You can ask them to look at one component but they are not obliged to do so.

It is important only to focus on discrepancies in the assessment that are relevant. That is discrepancies that would contradict your case for appeal.

I would recommend you should seek face to face advice such as from a CAB if you can.

Yes there is a chance the entitlement can be removed. This is unlikely but possible. It is hard to judge as PIPs is so new. You need to make sure she has clear entitlement to what she is receiving and a good case to have the award increased. As you seem to be aware she would only need one point more to increase the daily living, but would need to double her points for mobility to get the standard rate. This is where an advisor can help as well as the guides.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, les

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris