× Members

Advice needed please. ESA?

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #118000 by JeanCannon
Advice needed please. ESA? was created by JeanCannon
Hi
I am afraid I don't really understand what ESA is, but I have just received a letter (Sat) telling me to expect a phone call from the DWP about ESA.

I do not get any benefits apart from DLA, but I think that 10 years ago (when I was told I could not work any more) I was told that my stamp would be paid although I would not get any money, could this be something to do with it?

Do I have to have my stamp paid and if I did not pursue this could it affect my DLA?

I am sorry about all the questions, but don't understand all of this

Many thanks
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #118015 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Advice needed please. ESA?
Jaycie

It sounds like you are receiving Incapacity Benefit as a Credits only claim.

All IB claims are being transferred to ESA.

We can't be specific as to whether it is worth you going through the process or not, it is possible (although remotely) that when transferred to ESA you may receive payments, even if you do not then you will continue to receive NI Credits.

NI Credits count towards a full State Pension so there is value in your continuing to receive them, especially with the planned changes to the Pension system due to come into effect from 2015.

I would advise you to get face to face advice from a trained advisor, they can look at your NIC history to tell you whether you have already acquire sufficient contributions or whether you still need to receive them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #118020 by JeanCannon
Replied by JeanCannon on topic Advice needed please. ESA?
Thank you Gordon for your reply, but if I did say forget the ESA
could it affect my DLA?

I just cannot cope with this at the moment as I have numerous family problems I would rather say when they phone to just forget it.

Thanks

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #118024 by JeanCannon
Replied by JeanCannon on topic Advice needed please. ESA?
Thank you Gordon for your reply.

Could this affect my DLA if I ask them to forget the ESA as I just cannot cope with it at the moment. I have family problems.

Thanks

More
10 years 2 months ago #118028 by Gordon

Jaycie wrote: Thank you Gordon for your reply, but if I did say forget the ESA
could it affect my DLA?

I just cannot cope with this at the moment as I have numerous family problems I would rather say when they phone to just forget it.

Thanks

I really recommend that you check your Contribution history before doing so as this could have financial implications to you in the long term.

You do not need to take the phone call, it is being made to see whether you have any questions about the process, if you do not, then it will simply progress to the next stage which is to issue an ESA50 form. This is a decision point in the process, you either need to complete and return this form or close your claim, but it will be a couple of weeks before you receive it so that you can make an informed decision whether to continue or not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 2 months ago #118029 by Gordon

Jaycie wrote: Thank you Gordon for your reply.

Could this affect my DLA if I ask them to forget the ESA as I just cannot cope with it at the moment. I have family problems.

Thanks

There should be no issue with your DLA, but I would recommend your formally closing your ESA claim if that is what you decide to do, rather than allowing it to fail by not responding as this may cause other problems.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: JeanCannon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.