× Members

Non-medical evidence

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #127895 by Chrissy
Non-medical evidence was created by Chrissy
Hi

I am struggling with medical evidence.
The letter from a one off mental health assessment leaves out certain parts of my illness which qualify me for the support group.
I don't see the mental health team regularly as they tell me to see my gp.
Not many people have a psych nurse in our area and the ones that do are the ones out of hospital psych ward and they only have a psych nurse for a short while.
I cannot contact the person who assessed me, because they say I need to go through my GP

I can supply evidence from a private counsellor I have been speaking to for several years now, and I can also supply evidence from a Volunteer Support Worker from a mental health charity who currently works with me.

Would the evidence from these two people suffice or does it have to be medical?

thanks
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #127915 by
Replied by on topic Non-medical evidence

Chrissy wrote: Hi

I am struggling with medical evidence.
The letter from a one off mental health assessment leaves out certain parts of my illness which qualify me for the support group.
I don't see the mental health team regularly as they tell me to see my gp.
Not many people have a psych nurse in our area and the ones that do are the ones out of hospital psych ward and they only have a psych nurse for a short while.
I cannot contact the person who assessed me, because they say I need to go through my GP

I can supply evidence from a private counsellor I have been speaking to for several years now, and I can also supply evidence from a Volunteer Support Worker from a mental health charity who currently works with me.

Would the evidence from these two people suffice or does it have to be medical?

thanks

Hi C,

I will refer you back to Gordon's advice given : Here.

You may be able to gain a letter of support from your G.P., or, taking up Gordon's suggestions, you can obtain copies of your G.P. and Hospital Records :

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

There would probable be a charge for either/both of the options above.

If you have no current supportive information, you can use older information, the important issue would be to make it clear that your conditions and resulting limitations have not altered since the date of the older information.

In the case of a reassessment, you could first make it clear which "group" of ESA you are currently in, list the Activities/Descriptors that you qualified under, then state that you have not received any "new" medical procedures, treatments or medications that have improved you medical conditions, nor have your resulting limitations changed or diminished since the time of your last assessment, if that is the case.

Obviously, if your resulting limitations have increased, you should mention that, also.

If you can gain letters of support from the two people that you mention, that "should" help further.

You can even gain letters of support from a friend, relative or carer who knows how your limitations affect you on a day to day basis.

Obviously, any such letter would not hold as much credence as one from a "professional" but they should still be taken into account.

The important issue with any "evidence" is to try and tie in the limitations that you suffer with any one of the : The SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors or if you can not fulfill any one of those, you can qualify via : ESA Reg 35 for entry to The SG (LCWRA)

See also :

Qualifying for the Support Group

&

ESA Claims Guides

bro58

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #128040 by nicolesnin
Replied by nicolesnin on topic Non-medical evidence
Hi Bro. I have a few psychiatrist's letters but they are from 2010. I was discharged from seeing him but did get copies of the letters after I saw him. Although he did diagnose 2 of my illnesses on them, can you tell me where would I write that my problems are still ongoing?
I think my new ESA assessment is due in a few months and that will mean I've been in the support group for the past 3 years without being sent more paperwork to fill in, which has been such a relief. I didn't phone to ask how long my award was for as I don't like rocking the boat. Plus my DLA will run out towards the end of the year so no doubt I will be asked to apply for PIP and that's another big headache to look forward to. Thanks

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #128044 by

nicolesnin wrote: Hi Bro. I have a few psychiatrist's letters but they are from 2010. I was discharged from seeing him but did get copies of the letters after I saw him. Although he did diagnose 2 of my illnesses on them, can you tell me where would I write that my problems are still ongoing?
I think my new ESA assessment is due in a few months and that will mean I've been in the support group for the past 3 years without being sent more paperwork to fill in, which has been such a relief. I didn't phone to ask how long my award was for as I don't like rocking the boat. Plus my DLA will run out towards the end of the year so no doubt I will be asked to apply for PIP and that's another big headache to look forward to. Thanks

Hi n,

You could either write any such comments in the appropriate section of The ESA50 Questionnaire, when you receive it, or, see :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Or you could write it separately on an A4 sheet, attach it, and draw reference to it in The ESA50 Form.

As you may be aware there have been deferrals of ESA Reassessments, so it is not a definite that you will be reassessed this year, see :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...02342&start=6#126501

Although we do advise that you should prepare for the arrival of a fresh ESA50 as much as you can.

With regards to your DLA, it will depend on whether or not you are in a "Live PIP Area".

See : PIP Postcode Map

If you are, you will be invited to claim PIP, see :

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

PIP Self Test

PIP Topic Thread in Spotlight Area

If you are not in a "Live PIP Area" or live in Northern Ireland, you will be reviewed under current DLA qualifying criteria.

Either way, you should expect to receive your DLA or PIP renewal forms some 16-20 weeks before your existing fixed term DLA award is due to end.

bro58

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #128050 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic Non-medical evidence
Hi Bro

I appreciate your reply, and Gordon's also.

From your reply, please can I clarify, would any evidence from my private counsellor be classed as "professional evidence"?

Also, the link to the 'live pip' area is not working, do you have another one please?

9 years 4 months ago #128057 by

Chrissy wrote: Hi Bro

I appreciate your reply, and Gordon's also.

From your reply, please can I clarify, would any evidence from my private counsellor be classed as "professional evidence"?

Also, the link to the 'live pip' area is not working, do you have another one please?

Hi C,

Sorry about the PIP Postcode Map link.

I have now fixed it and it is working fine.

If they are a professional Counselor, and do this for a living, then "Yes" it should be classed as evidence from a "Professional".

bro58

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.