× Members

PIP query - home visit/'going out question/evidenc

More
9 years 2 months ago #127966 by Feelinghopeless
Hi,

I know you amazing people on this site are volunteers and have your own health issues, so will try to keep this brief, but just have to say I cannot thank you lot enough - you have helped me so much over the years. Right.....

1) DLA award (High rate care, low rate mobility) ends in April this year. Just sent off PIP form (with a massive pile of copies of every hospital discharge summary, psychiatric clinic letter, psychologist letter, support worker care plan, police reports etc etc going right back to 2012), and my psychiatrist wrote a covering letter and copied the hospital discharge summary explaining that she strongly recommended that I am not subjected to a face to face assessment or home visit because she felt it would cause a major deterioration in my condition (she explained that I was admitted to a psychiatric unit last August after a serious suicide attempt, that I had a personality disorder, mild psychosis etc, and that I was still in recovery and vulnerable and that in all likelihood, a home visit or assessment would lead to me self harming or taking an overdose and going to bed so as not to have to face assessment. - Now I know you cannot comment on individual cases and also that the DWP are not obliged to take any notice of my psychiatrist, but with a letter like that and all the evidence I enclosed with my form and also my very detailed answers after following your excellent guides, would they still go ahead and visit me? I live in North Wales so assume it will be Capita.

2) I have agoraphobia and social anxiety and after reading your guides I realise that on the one hand the fact that I haven't left my house in 5 years except to attend 'mental health' appointments demonstrates that I do have problems with going out, on the other hand the descriptors might also say that if I can go to appointments (always accompanied with husband) then I don't have agoraphobia as I do actually go out sometimes. I decided therefore to copy letters which showed all the appointments I had failed to attend and also that my support worker therapy broke down twice because I was not able to answer the door when my support worker turned up etc. I also have evidence that I discharged myself from my group therapy because I got so distressed. On the one hand this demonstrates how even though I do attend appointments, it does cause distress and yet on the other hand could they see this as non compliance and refusing the help offered?

3) I can't afford a new black ink printer cartridge and unfortunately even though the copies of all my evidence were clearly genuine and easy to read, when I copied them, the printer used the ink from the colour cartridge and some of the writing would be copied in red or blue and it just looks a bit messy and I wonder if they will insist on originals and therefore my claim will be delayed. NO way am I submitting originals. I am keeping hold of every single original letter, not letting them out of my sight.

So sorry for such a long message. I really do appreciate your hard work and even if you can't answer any of these queries, I still want to thank you for all your help over the years, particularly last year because after using your guides I was kept in the support group for ESA. You are amazing x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #127974 by Gordon
mad cow

1. Hopefully the Assessment Provider will pay attention to your GP's letter, but I am afraid we cannot offer any guarantee that they will, each case is dealt with on its own merits.

2. All PIP activities must be completed Reliably, this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

So whilst the PIP Descriptor uses the word "Cannot" you should be able to argue that you are restricted for a significant amount of the time, for those reading this post, significantly applies for a far greater amount of the time than the majority.

3. If the DWP have problems reading the documents then they will likely contact you, most towns have some form of document copying facility, perhaps a local stationer has a photocopier that your husband could use.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #127975 by Gordon
mad cow

1. Hopefully the Assessment Provider will pay attention to your GP's letter, but I am afraid we cannot offer any guarantee that they will, each case is dealt with on its own merits.

2. All PIP activities must be completed Reliably, this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

So whilst the PIP Descriptor uses the word "Cannot" you should be able to argue that you are restricted for a significant amount of the time, for those reading this post, significantly applies for a far greater amount of the time than the majority.

3. If the DWP have problems reading the documents then they will likely contact you, most towns have some form of document copying facility, perhaps a local stationer has a photocopier that your husband could use.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelinghopeless

More
9 years 2 months ago #127980 by Feelinghopeless
Replied by Feelinghopeless on topic PIP query - home visit/'going out question/evidenc
Very helpful. Much appreciated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.