× Members

PIP - Blind Person

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129244 by buster21
PIP - Blind Person was created by buster21
Hello all

My daughter has just been registered as blind, visual acuity is 1/60 and 2/60 as well as extensive loss of visual field. Her sight isn't going to get better - only worse unfortunately. She has an RP Syndrome so has other disabilities as well. You have helped in the past with advice on ESA when she was registered as being partially sighted only. That claim was straightforward, so no problems there thank you once again.

At present she is claiming DLA - MRC and LRM - indefinate award, awarded before known sight loss due to other disabilities. We live in a PIP area and are aware of having to claim PIP if and when we report a change in circumstances - ie now being registered as blind etc. After doing some research on this, she will be opting to go through the DLA to PIP process as required in order for her to start to get an appropriate mobility award and care award too that now reflects her most current needs. We did try getting her DLA award enhanced about a year ago before our area became a PIP area - her award came back unchanged after only one week of waiting despite trying to argue for night time needs which could have resulted in HRC - DM was having non of it unfortunately.

Under DLA I know the rules were changed a few years ago to allow for blind people to qualify for HRM - with the help of a change in legislation - apparently it's written in to the DLA regulations regards to being blind and qualifying for HRM.

My main query really is - is there a similar regulation written in to the PIP regulations that would allow an automatic entitlement to Enhanced Mobility for blind people?

Also, if you could point me to any relevant B&W threads about blind people claiming PIP or "transfering" from DLA to PIP, that would be great. And if there are any people out there who have had anything to do with this kind of process, please feel free to comment, I would be very interested, in fact any guidance from anyone would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Buster
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129247 by
Replied by on topic PIP - Blind Person

buster wrote: Hello all

My daughter has just been registered as blind, visual acuity is 1/60 and 2/60 as well as extensive loss of visual field. Her sight isn't going to get better - only worse unfortunately. She has an RP Syndrome so has other disabilities as well. You have helped in the past with advice on ESA when she was registered as being partially sighted only. That claim was straightforward, so no problems there thank you once again.

At present she is claiming DLA - MRC and LRM - indefinate award, awarded before known sight loss due to other disabilities. We live in a PIP area and are aware of having to claim PIP if and when we report a change in circumstances - ie now being registered as blind etc. After doing some research on this, she will be opting to go through the DLA to PIP process as required in order for her to start to get an appropriate mobility award and care award too that now reflects her most current needs. We did try getting her DLA award enhanced about a year ago before our area became a PIP area - her award came back unchanged after only one week of waiting despite trying to argue for night time needs which could have resulted in HRC - DM was having non of it unfortunately.

Under DLA I know the rules were changed a few years ago to allow for blind people to qualify for HRM - with the help of a change in legislation - apparently it's written in to the DLA regulations regards to being blind and qualifying for HRM.

My main query really is - is there a similar regulation written in to the PIP regulations that would allow an automatic entitlement to Enhanced Mobility for blind people?

Also, if you could point me to any relevant B&W threads about blind people claiming PIP or "transfering" from DLA to PIP, that would be great. And if there are any people out there who have had anything to do with this kind of process, please feel free to comment, I would be very interested, in fact any guidance from anyone would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Buster

Hi B,

Visual Impairment is covered from Page 115 @ "3.5. Mobility activities
Activity 11 – Planning and following journeys" of : The Latest Guidance given to Assessment Providers.

In particular, if she can fulfill " F " as seen at Page 117, this awards 12 Points (ERM PIP)

"Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid."

It is also covered from Page 53 onwards of our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

"Mobility activities

Q13 Going out

f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points."

See also : PIP Self Test

If you put PIP/Blindness/Visual Impairment, or words to that affect in our site seach engine : Here, any related topics should come up.

Personally I cannot recall that many members who have Visual Impairments that have made PIP Claims/Transfers.

If there are any out there, they are most welcome to respond. :)

Hope this helps.

bro58

More
9 years 2 months ago #129371 by buster21
Replied by buster21 on topic PIP - Blind Person
Hi

For my daughter's PIP claim we'll be relying on her visual impairment as the main qualifying factor/evidence to support her mobility claim. Just have a query, she's only just been certified as being blind - will she have to wait 3 months for her blindness to be considered by DWP? Hope this makes sense. Many thanks.

Buster

More
9 years 2 months ago #129374 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP - Blind Person

buster wrote: Hi

For my daughter's PIP claim we'll be relying on her visual impairment as the main qualifying factor/evidence to support her mobility claim. Just have a query, she's only just been certified as being blind - will she have to wait 3 months for her blindness to be considered by DWP? Hope this makes sense. Many thanks.

Buster

It's not the date she was certified as blind that matters but when she actually became blind, so providing you can show that this was 3 or months ago there should be no problem.

Obviously if she became blind overnight, due to an accident for example, then it would be this date that would be used, if the change was gradual then you may have provide some evidence as to when she met the qualification criteria, but I would expect her GP or those treating her to be able to help with this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: buster21

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #129773 by buster21
Replied by buster21 on topic PIP - Blind Person
Thanks once again guys. Really sorry but for the life of me I can't get the link above to work (guidance for assessment providers). Frustrating, but no doubt not insurmountable. Any tips? Cheers.

Buster

More
9 years 2 months ago #129782 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP - Blind Person

buster wrote: Thanks once again guys. Really sorry but for the life of me I can't get the link above to work (guidance for assessment providers). Frustrating, but no doubt not insurmountable. Any tips? Cheers.

Buster

What error are you getting?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: buster21

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.