× Members

change of circumstances, now esa50

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130288 by Chlorinated
change of circumstances, now esa50 was created by Chlorinated
I have been typing up a change of circumstances letter(to go from wrag to support group) and am going to try and get it backdated about 1.5 years as when I contacted them a long time ago, they misinformed me and told me to wait for the next assessment rather then write in with a change of circumstances form.

I am doing this right now however coincidentally I have just received an esa50 through the post. I do not think this was triggered by the change of circumstances as I haven't sent the coc letter out yet.

It seems I have to complete both and send them to different postcodes? I'm just worried that based on the two submissions, the esa50 may decide I belong to the wrag whereas and the coc people may say support group or vice versa. I also know coc will require going in for a reassessment whereas these have been stopped for the standard esa50 procedure.

I'm a bit confused and wondering if I should be doing both or just the esa50 and forgetting the change of circumstances however this won't allow me the backdate to which I am entitled.

should I do the coc anymore? sorry I'm confused. What is your advice?
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130304 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic change of circumstances, now esa50
Amonia

I am afraid there are very very limited circumstances under which a Change Circumstances can be backdated, being advised not to submit one by a member of the DWP staff would not count as Good Cause. The normal procedure is to apply any change to benefit from the date that the DWP are notified.

Even though you cannot back date your current claim, it would still be worth your while sending the DWP notification of the Change as it should ensure that any new Decision on your claim would apply from now rather than from when the Decision is made. I would recommend that you send your letter to the DWP by Recorded Delivery and ask for written acknowledgement of their receipt of it. You may need to chase the DWP for this.

You do not need to inform ATOS, who will have issued the ESA50, but should include details of your "new" problems when completing the form.

Please refer to our ESA Claim guides for information on how to complete the ESA50.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #130390 by Chlorinated
Replied by Chlorinated on topic change of circumstances, now esa50
Hi Gordon

Perhaps it will not get backdated. However if it doesn't get backdated what is the point doing the coc when the new esa50 will look at that anyway? i.e they will see I have new issues, assess me accordingly and will not call me up for a wca. the coc on the other hand may call me for a wca in which otherwise the processes are the same right?

basically, is there any point in doing the coc when they hve sent an esa50 which I thinks means they will relook at everything anyway?

thanks

More
9 years 2 months ago #130395 by Gordon
Amonia

Notifying the DWP now of a CofC should mean that they apply any Decision from the date that they receive the letter, if you don't inform the DWP of the CofC then the Decision will apply from the date it is made.

So purely as an example; if you notify the DWP on 1 March 2015 of the change, complete the ESA50, are assessed whether this is a face to face or not and a new decision is made on 1 September, then...

With the CofC the Decision should apply from 1 March, without the CofC it would be 1 September.

Reporting a CofC will not affect how the assessment process operates, you are being assessed on your conditions as they are now, that includes any deterioration that has occurred, whether there is a requirement for a face to face assessment or not, will be based on your ESA50 and any evidence attached and any information that they may seek from your doctors.

I hope this explains it :)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #130711 by Chlorinated
Replied by Chlorinated on topic change of circumstances, now esa50
Hi Gordon

About 18 - 24 months ago I completed an esa50. im pretty sure that contained my new diagnoses. they told me they called me up for an assessment however I never received any letter.

now that I am submitting the coc(and other esa50), like I said their advisors had misinformed me before regarding how to notify about coc. can I argue that since my esa50 would have mentioned the new diagnoses et al, they should have regarded it as coc and now backdate on that basis? the old esa50 is a kind of evidence/notification right or would this not be considered?

More
9 years 2 months ago #130713 by Gordon
Amonia

I am afraid I can't tell from the multitude of topics you have started whether a Decision was made on your claim after the ESA50 you completed 18-24 months ago. If it was then then there will be no way that the DWP will look at back dating it as that Decision will have taken into account those changes. It would also introduce further issues (see below).

If no Decision was made then the issue will be that the DWP initiated the re-assessment and not you, it may be possible to argue that your ESA50 contains information that would place you in the Support Group, but unless a recommendation could be made only on that original ESA50 and the information attached then there would be a problem determining whether any SG award was the result of how you are today or whether you would have qualified if immediately assessed after the ESA50 was returned.

As I mentioned above, if a Decision has been on the old ESA50 then it creates a new problem. Each Decision resets a claimants conditions, so changes in your condition will only be considered from the date of the last Decision, basically you can't argue that the change you now want to be re-assessed under pre-dates that last Decision. To try and explain this in simpler terms; if your condition is now twice as bad as it was then it would have changed 100%, if the last Decision was made when you were half as bad (i.e. 50%) and that Decision did not place you in the SG, then any re-assessment will only consider the second 50% (since the Decision) not the full 100%.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.