× Members

PiP assessment looming

• Debs Channon
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago #131672 by Debs Channon
PiP assessment looming was created by Debs Channon
1) My 21 yr old son has his assessment on Tuesday, he is autistic, and suffers severe anxiety as part of his condition. I am compelled to attend, (I am his appointee) and am already feeling anxious myself, and very concerned as to how he will cope, as he can be very unpredictable...he may withdraw into himself totally, or may become manic, neither is ideal,
How can I keep him calm enough to be assessed?

2)He was in receipt of DLA from the moment he was old enough, higher rate for both components until just before his 17th birthday. When the transitional application (child to adult) had to be filled in, he refused to have any part of it - it Only recently transpired, that he thought not being in receipt of DLA would make him 'normal'.... Although he has finally accepted he isn't.
Will they refer back to old DLA paperwork - I did refer them to it on several occasions when filling inthe PiP application, just in case?

Many years ago I was an advocate, successfully supporting people at disability tribunals, but I can never remember feeling as nervous or anxious as I do now, all hand holding, and soothing words of encouragement/rallying cries, appreciated,

Thanks for reading,
Debs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131694 by da
Replied by da on topic PiP assessment looming
i know of a 17 girl and shes autistic and was awarded full mobility and full care with pip,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debs Channon

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131695 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PiP assessment looming
DC

Welcome to the Forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Have a look at our PIP Claim guide, there is a section towards the back that covers the assessment process.

I am afraid I cannot offer any advice in regard to keeping your son calm on the day, you suggest in your post that he is not entirely aware of his conditions, you can explain this to the assessor and hopefully they will direct at least some of their questioning to you; rather than to your son.

Whilst it is not impossible that the assessor will have access to your sons old DLA information, however, it is far more likely that this information will not be available to the assessor.

Best wishes for the day

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 1 month ago #131716 by caravanj
Replied by caravanj on topic PiP assessment looming

Gordon wrote: DC

Welcome to the Forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Have a look at our PIP Claim guide, there is a section towards the back that covers the assessment process.

I am afraid I cannot offer any advice in regard to keeping your son calm on the day, you suggest in your post that he is not entirely aware of his conditions, you can explain this to the assessor and hopefully they will direct at least some of their questioning to you; rather than to your son.

Whilst it is not impossible that the assessor will have access to your sons old DLA information, however, it is far more likely that this information will not be available to the assessor.

Best wishes for the day

Gordon

As soon as my wife claimed DLA I contacted the DWP & asked for, and was granted, 'authority to act' which means that all correspondence is addressed to me & assessments can only be done if I'm present.
I renewed my 'authority to act' when her PIP claim was due & my wife's really had little to do with the whole process including her assessment which was done at home at my request.
The 'authority to act' is extremely useful as it gives me the right to answer on behalf of my wife when the need arises.

I urge you to do the same.

• Debs Channon
  • Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131822 by Debs Channon
Replied by Debs Channon on topic PiP assessment looming
Thanks all. Yes as my sons 'appointee' everything has to come through me (not just financial stuff), the assessment could not go ahead unless I am able to be present due to my sons MH status (it's covered in the assessors guidance) but it doesn't give them guidance as how to proceed if he is unwilling to let them touch him for the medical checks -at least if it is, I can't find it! That will be interesting!
DC
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131853 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PiP assessment looming

DC wrote: Thanks all. Yes as my sons 'appointee' everything has to come through me (not just financial stuff), the assessment could not go ahead unless I am able to be present due to my sons MH status (it's covered in the assessors guidance) but it doesn't give them guidance as how to proceed if he is unwilling to let them touch him for the medical checks -at least if it is, I can't find it! That will be interesting!
DC

Hi DC,

The Assessor is supposed to take any unusual behaviour that is due to the claimant's medical conditions into account, and make adjustments.

I am sure that you will make them aware of this at the start of the assessment ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.