× Members

Lodging appeal, now want my ESA resumed

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132954 by Charles Britton
Lodging appeal, now want my ESA resumed was created by Charles Britton
Hi, I have had the mandatory reconsideration ( after being found fit for work,which is a joke), and I am sending my appeal off to the tribunal services.
I am anxious to get some income again, so can you please tell me who do I ask to get ESA at the assessment phase rate?
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #132971 by

definatelychas wrote: Hi, I have had the mandatory reconsideration ( after being found fit for work,which is a joke), and I am sending my appeal off to the tribunal services.
I am anxious to get some income again, so can you please tell me who do I ask to get ESA at the assessment phase rate?

Hi dc,

If you have been claiming JSA whilst your MR was taking place, you cannot revert back to Assessment Rate ESA until you receive written notice from The Tribunals Service (TS) that they have accepted your appeal.

Once you have that, you should send copy to The DWP informing them that you wish to close your JSA claim and revert back to ESA.

You will obviously need a fit note from your G.P. as well.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

If you haven't been claiming JSA, then again you would still need the written notice of acceptance of your appeal from The TS, and a fit note.

Ideally under this scenario you would need the fit note to cover you from the date that you were found fit for work. (if you haven't been sending them to the DWP in the interim.

You should then be paid ESA Assessment Rate backdated from the date of the fit for work decision.

bro58

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133057 by Charles Britton
Replied by Charles Britton on topic Lodging appeal, now want my ESA resumed
Many thanks for your reply, bro58.

I have not been claiming JSA, in fact the mandatory reconsideration period was not that long, and I am still covered by my GPs fit note( dating from before my WCA) for another month.

So, I have to wait for the TS to send me a written notice of acceptance.
And then i send that to the DWP office that usually manages my claim, along with a letter requesting to go on the assessment phase rate until the appeal?

I suppose they then may ask for a fresh fit note. I shall wait and see regarding that.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133065 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Lodging appeal, now want my ESA resumed
definatelychas

Both you and the DWP will receive a copy of the appeal acceptance letter, you should chase the DWP to action it when you get your copy and start payment of the ESA Assessment rate.

You don't need to wait for the letter to sort out a Fit Note, you need to provide one or more Fit Notes covering you from the day after you were found Fit for Work.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Britton

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #133096 by Charles Britton
Replied by Charles Britton on topic Lodging appeal, now want my ESA resumed
many thanks for your advice Gordon.
it is news to me that you get the esa backdated to the day you were found fit for work. i thought there was a gap in payment you couldn't do anything about ,unless perhaps if you win your appeal.

9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #133099 by

definatelychas wrote: many thanks for your advice Gordon.
it is news to me that you get the esa backdated to the day you were found fit for work. i thought there was a gap in payment you couldn't do anything about ,unless perhaps if you win your appeal.

Hi dc,

When going through an MR of a fit for work decision, the claimant has the option to sign on for JSA with reduced conditionality to their job seekers agreement, of they can simply request the MR and receive no benefit payments, as you have.

In either scenario the claimant should continue to obtain fit notes from their G.P. to cover them from the date of the fit for work decision.

It is not advisable to present the fit notes to JC Plus if claiming JSA as this could result in them not allowing a JSA claim.

However, they should be kept and presented at the time of the Tribunal accepting the appeal, this enables full back payment of ESA Assessment Rate from the date of the fit for work decision.

Obviously if the claimant had been in receipt of JSA up to the time of the appeal being accepted, there would be no back pay owed as the JSA payments would be offset against any hypothetical arrears of ESA Assessment Rate owed.

i.e. you can't receive both JSA & ESA for the same period.

There is nothing to stop your G.P. back dating fit notes if they want to.

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.