× Members

esa support group and pension

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133018 by Derek Grant
esa support group and pension was created by Derek Grant
I am about to receive a pension of £13000 per annum. Will I now be not entitled to esa in the support group.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #133034 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa support group and pension

Derek wrote: I am about to receive a pension of £13000 per annum. Will I now be not entitled to esa in the support group.

We cannot give detailed financial advice, if you need a full understanding of how your benefit would be affected then you need to get face to face advice from a trained advisor, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

It depends on whether you are receiving Income Related ESA, Contribution Based ESA or a combination of the two.

A simplistic calculation, I have taken no account of tax, gives a pension income of £250 per week (£13,000 / 52).

If you are only receiving ESA(IR) then your pension will de deducted £ for £, so I think it very unlikely that you will continue to receive payments.

If you are receiving ESA(CB) then there is an £85/week followed by a £1/week deduction for every £2 of additional pension income. This gives a deduction of £82.50/week (£250 - £85 = £165 / 2 = £82.50).

If you receive a combination of the two then the calculation is more complicated I would expect you to lose any ESA(IR) and have your ESA(CB) reduced.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pipp

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133038 by Derek Grant
Replied by Derek Grant on topic esa support group and pension
Thank you.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133130 by Bearer
Replied by Bearer on topic esa support group and pension
Aren't there a couple of circumstances when one is protected from the above cut in one's occupational/personal pension caused by receiving ESA(CB)-

-while one gets DLA higher rate care component?

-if one started on Incapacity Benefit IB before 6 April 2001, and was later transitioned seamlessly to ESA(CB)?

Of course, these do not apply to the great majority of claimants, but one of these may just apply here, so worth mentioning maybe?

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #133138 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa support group and pension
Bearer

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately these disregards only apply to claimants who were originally in receipt of Incapacity Benefit, claimants who met the criteria under IB and were successfully transferred to ESA are considered to still meet them under the ESA Transitional Regulations.

ESA has no such provisions and the pension is new so the OP is not entitled to any disregard other than that already mentioned.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

• DA0
9 years 1 week ago #133437 by DA0
Replied by DA0 on topic esa support group and pension
Hi,

As someone who does receive the ESA Transitional Protection (due to IB timing/Higher Rate DLA Care), this post has prompted me to ask if anyone knows what will happen when I, and others like me, are forced to migrate to PIP (by Oct 2017)(assuming I get the enhanced rate of PIP care?).

As this would potentially have a significant impact (possible loss of ESACB, on top of an expected loss of mobility payments (like 280,000 others, and a third of Motability users), as I can, fortunately, walk more than the 20M that PIP requires, but not the 50M that DLA uses), I'd appreciate any input and advice, as regards PIP Transitional protection, in these circumstances: ESA protection for a DLA recipient, migrated to PIP.

Thanks, as ever, for all the good input/work that forumites and Moderators provide.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.