× Members

Statutory Sick Pay and ESA Question please

More
8 years 11 months ago #135553 by redgt9
Hello Moderators, would you please advise me the right course of action.

I'm almost 62
My wife is 56

I'm on IR SG ESA, I have a wife and her wages are taken from my money.

Sadly my wife has become really ill with COPD and today we have been told by the Doctor he can't see her ever going back to work (this saddens her because she has worked at the same place for over 27yrs).

Would it be right to let her Works know about this, she wont be coming back or should we wait to be honest I can't see going back either.

Right my wife has been paid (Statutory Sick Pay) SSP for the last 14 weeks, from what I understand we can't make a claim for her whilst she is getting SSP. I'm now getting very worried, we really do live from day to day, no savings etc.
If we can't make a claim to DWP until her SSP stops surely there is going to be some time before the DWP stop taking her money out of my ESA payment.

Would it be wise to let the DWP know about my wife not going to work before her SSP runs out even thou they say don't claim before SSP runs out.

The both of us now are sick, now we are so worried about money and I'm very worried about my wife's illness so we don't need extra pressure at this time, sorry if I sound like a complete idiot but this is what the DWP does to people.
Kind regards and thanks for any help.
redgt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #135574 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Statutory Sick Pay and ESA Question please
Red

AS you have posted you cannot make a claim for ESA if you are receiving Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), this is normally payable for 28 weeks. If your wife's wages have been reduced as a result of this then you should notify the DWP and they should be able to adjust the deduction from your ESA.

At the risk of worrying you further I do not believe that your finances will improve if you wife claims ESA! If she does and she is eligible for Contribution Based ESA then this will be deducted from your ESA(IR) as her wages were. If she is only entitled to ESA(IR) then she will not be able to make a claim as she is already part of yours.

You should try and get face to face advice from a trained advisor who can look at your financial situation in more detail than we can on the forum. Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

If she does decide to claim ESA then she can do in advance of her SSP ending but it will not start until the day after the SSP stops, she will also need a certificate from her employer showing that her SSP has finished.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: redgt9

More
8 years 11 months ago #135640 by redgt9
Replied by redgt9 on topic Statutory Sick Pay and ESA Question please
Hi Gordon, thank you for all of your help regarding this.

More
8 years 10 months ago #136013 by redgt9
I'm sorry to bother you again, I have just learned my wife is not getting SSP.
She have just told me she don't get SSP due to not working enough hours so she is getting sick pay from her company, does this change things, I'm sorry for adding to your work load.

Also I asked another question in the first message can you please advise:
My wife has been told she wont be fit enough to go back to work, should we let them know this?

Thank you again for your help

More
8 years 10 months ago #136031 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Statutory Sick Pay and ESA Question please

redgt9 wrote: I'm sorry to bother you again, I have just learned my wife is not getting SSP.
She have just told me she don't get SSP due to not working enough hours so she is getting sick pay from her company, does this change things, I'm sorry for adding to your work load.

Also I asked another question in the first message can you please advise:
My wife has been told she wont be fit enough to go back to work, should we let them know this?

Thank you again for your help

If she is not receiving SSP then she can make an immediate claim for ESA which can be backdated by up to three months subject to the period being covered by a Fit Note.

I'm afraid we cannot offer advice about whether she should notify her employer about the likelihood of her returning to work. If she has access to a union rep then she should discuss the matter with them, if not then CAB are probably next best.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: redgt9

More
8 years 10 months ago #136082 by redgt9
Gordon again thank you for your help and advice.
Regards
Redgt

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.