× Members

PIP award - they seem not to have read any of the

More
8 years 8 months ago #139372 by DrLight
I've just received a PIP reward which places me with standard living component and mobility award instead of the enhanced component in both care and mobility I revved in DLA.
The decision maker seems to have based these decisions about engaging with other people and planning journeys from the information take at an assessment done in my home with a close personal friend present and my partner upstairs as well.

I don't see how needing someone with you at an interview that is mandated falls into the "can engage with other people unaided".

I also said in the extra information.
I can walk for a short distance (approx 20 metres) and then I have to rest due to the pain. I do almost all of my shopping online and if I need to get into the centre of town I use a taxi there and back. My condition is much worse during cold/damp weather and first thing in the morning, but is always at least at the level described above and does not vary much from day to day or week to week

The decision maker has said that I can walk more than 20 but less than 50m, and has disregarded all I said about going to unfamiliar places and doing almost all my shopping online.

I am unsure if I should take what I've been given or take it up with them.

I scored 9 on daily living and 10 on mobility in their decisions.

However according to the pip test onthe website:

PERSONAL INDEPENDENCE PAYMENT (PIP)
Thank you for taking the PIP test. Please bear in mind that this is your assessment of what you think you should score - a decision maker may come to an entirely different conclusion.
DAILY LIVING COMPONENT.
You assessed yourself as scoring the following points for the daily living component of PIP:

1 c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave. 2 points
4 e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower. 3 points
5 d. Needs assistance to be able to manage toilet needs. 4 points
6 c. Needs either - (i) prompting to be able to dress, undress or determine appropriate circumstances for remaining clothed; or (ii) prompting or assistance to be able to select appropriate clothing. 2 points
9 b. Needs prompting to be able to engage with other people. 2 points

Total points: 13

To be eligible for the daily living component of PIP you need to score:
8-11 points to be awarded the standard rate; or
12 points or more to be awarded the higher rate.
You assessed yourself as being eligible for the enhanced rate of the daily living component of PIP
MOBILITY COMPONENT.
You assessed yourself as scoring the following points for the mobility component of PIP:
11 d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points
12 e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points

Total points: 22

To be eligible for the mobility component of PIP you need to score:
8-11 points to be awarded the standard rate; or
12 points or more to be awarded the higher rate.
You assessed yourself as being eligible for the enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP.

I would be grateful for any advice you could offer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #139383 by Gordon
DrLight

If the award is not what you expected then you need to look at the next steps and whether you want to pursue them or not. However, you need to be aware that challenging a Decision risks your current award being reduced or even being removed, as you scored above the minimum requirement for a Standard award the risk is probably low, but I cannot state that it is zero.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 8 months ago #139431 by DrLight
Thanks very much I will get on to this asap

More
8 years 8 months ago #140215 by DrLight
I have just got the Consultation report PA4 V3 back from the dwp.
I then had a look at "Your Best Ways of Challenging a medical Report"

It seems the assessors hasn't put down what I told him in many places.
Also in the Social and Occupational History section he references activities like spectating at football etc. which I have never done.

Some of his sentences make no sense at all or are obvious misspellings such as tense for TENS machine

The also did not walk me through a typical day.

I haven't heard back about the Mandatory reconsideration although they got the letter on the 20th August - should I chase them up by phone?
Thanks in advance for any advice

More
8 years 7 months ago #140233 by Gordon

DrLight wrote: I have just got the Consultation report PA4 V3 back from the dwp.
I then had a look at "Your Best Ways of Challenging a medical Report"

It seems the assessors hasn't put down what I told him in many places.
Also in the Social and Occupational History section he references activities like spectating at football etc. which I have never done.

Some of his sentences make no sense at all or are obvious misspellings such as tense for TENS machine

The also did not walk me through a typical day.

I haven't heard back about the Mandatory reconsideration although they got the letter on the 20th August - should I chase them up by phone?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Yes, you might want to chase them about the MR.

Issues such a grammar and spelling are not relevant and you should stay away from mentioning them unless they are symptomatic of a fundamental problem with the report which does not appear to be the case.

If opinions have been stated which are the direct result of comments such as your spectating as football, then you should challenge them but give some though to how relevant they are to your problems first.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 7 months ago #140288 by DrLight
Just been on the phone to them about the reconsideration - they haven't changed their minds at all.

The assessment was done by a Disability Assessor Nurse.

I suppose my next option is to either leave it or challenge the medical?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.