× Members

Carer's NI Credits

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #140375 by Maddy2014
Carer's NI Credits was created by Maddy2014
I have been told that I cannot have ESA contribution based as I don't have enough NI contributions. I have been receiving Carer's Credits for the last 6 years. Are these Class 1 therefore entitling me to claim ESA?!
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #140377 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Carer's NI Credits

Maddy2014 wrote: I have been told that I cannot have ESA contribution based as I don't have enough NI contributions. I have been receiving Carer's Credits for the last 6 years. Are these Class 1 therefore entitling me to claim ESA?!

Hi M2014,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

This Topic should help to explain it for you.

If not, please reply to this post and we will try to help further.

bro58

• bro58
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #140380 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Carer's NI Credits
Hi M2014,

Just to clarify,

You must have been receiving NI Credits as a result of you receiving Carers Allowance (CA) not just Carers Credits, before the NI Credits can count towards any potential CB ESA entitlement.

bro58

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #140381 by Maddy2014
Replied by Maddy2014 on topic Carer's NI Credits
All I know is that I've been claiming Carer's Allowance for the last 6 years, no break and have paid NI contributions via employment in the past, about 15 years ago. I can't get past the gatekeepers at ESA who just say I cannot have any money. I first applied 2 1/2 months ago, asked for MR about a month ago, sent in ESA50 form a month ago and have herd nothing. Don;t know what to do next. They say the claim now will only be for NI contributions via ESA.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #140382 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carer's NI Credits

Maddy2014 wrote: All I know is that I've been claiming Carer's Allowance for the last 6 years, no break and have paid NI contributions via employment in the past, about 15 years ago. I can't get past the gatekeepers at ESA who just say I cannot have any money. I first applied 2 1/2 months ago, asked for MR about a month ago, sent in ESA50 form a month ago and have herd nothing. Don;t know what to do next. They say the claim now will only be for NI contributions via ESA.

Is it Carers Allowance or Carers Credit, the difference is important?

The ESA legislation has a specific exemption for Carers Allowance in regard the Contribution Conditions, this does not apply to Carers Credit.

As a more general comment, NI Credits can only be used in part for a claim for Contribution Based ESA, a claimant must also have sufficient NI Contributions in the required Tax Years, the CA exemption covers this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 7 months ago #140384 by Maddy2014
Replied by Maddy2014 on topic Carer's NI Credits
I have only ever actually claimed Carer's allowance. I was told you automatically get Carer's Credits when you claim CA. I've worked full time in my life for about 5 years or so, then part-time for a few years where I would have paid NI.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.