× Members

ADVICE ON PIP 1 AND 2 AND MED EVIDENCE PAST DLA

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142408 by newb
I have just been looking at the PIP claim procedure, in the initial claim PP1 1 it states if a existing claim for DLA medical evidence can be used by the DWP then the box should be ticked?

I am confused (no being assessed yet) but if a previous DLA claim was paid HR CARE AND MED MOBILITY, Then how can they possibly use the same evidence from that claim and deny a claim, for indefinite from a previous DLA, when transiting onto the new PIP at stage 2, when they are seeking how the condition affects the claimant?

I AM just confused and annoyed that they will put my husband through all the trauma again, when they in fact have all the evidence on file in the DLA claim?

Please can I also be advised if, the assessment can be refused over the phone and we can ask for a home visit? as my husband neither speaks on the phone or will travel to their medical offices due to his ongoing condition?
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #142417 by
Hi kkj,

"I am confused (no being assessed yet) but if a previous DLA claim was paid HR CARE AND MED MOBILITY, Then how can they possibly use the same evidence from that claim and deny a claim, for indefinite from a previous DLA, when transiting onto the new PIP at stage 2, when they are seeking how the condition affects the claimant?"

I am afraid that there is a simple answer here, The PIP qualifying criteria is totally different to that of DLA !

A few examples of this :

Qualifying for PIP is points based, DLA was not.

The benchmark distance used for HR Mobility was 50 metres, for ER Mobility PIP it is 20 metres.

You really need to provide your own evidence with The PIP 2 Form, when you receive it.

"Please can I also be advised if, the assessment can be refused over the phone and we can ask for a home visit? as my husband neither speaks on the phone or will travel to their medical offices due to his ongoing condition? "

The phone call is to give "basic information" and is used to fill in The PIP 1 Form.

It is not the full assessment, that will take place using the PIP 2 Form after you return that and may or may not include a face to face consultation, depending on whether or not you can provide enough information in the PIP 2 for them to make a paper based assessment without the need of a face to face.

If your husband cannot speak on the phone, you can contact them, inform them of this, and ask them whether they can send the PIP 1 Form for him/you to fill in at home and return to them by any deadline date that they provide.

If your husband is unable to travel to a face to face assessment, (if one is deemed necessary) you should inform them in writing along with the PIP 2 Form, giving reasons.

It would help if he can obtain a letter supporting this from his G.P., which should also be attached to your written notification.

They do carry our assessments in the claimant's home.

You need to refer to our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page) which guides you through the DLA to PIP process.

See also : PIP Self Test

&

Personal independence payment (PIP) points scores.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

More
8 years 6 months ago #142420 by slugsta
Just as a postscript to Bro's excellent advice - the whole point of the switch to PIP is to save money from the benefits bill. It is entirely likely that people who were, quite correctly, on DLA will , also correctly according to the new rules, not qualify for PIP or qualify for a lower award :( We hope to give you the best chance of getting the award you need and deserve.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #142424 by newb
Thank you so much for that clarification, AS I would have just ticked the box for them to use the previous medical reports, so in your opinions this would not be of assistance, should I still confirm they can use the past DLA reports or just use the new claim in its entirety, and then pull the previous DLA - if it should go to appeal? or would this then be denied as part of the new claim for PIP or the appeal?

I can confirm I WILL obtain relevant medical letters to confirm my husbands illness to attend a Med interview etc, as I am his appointee and the DLA write to me, in regards his entitlements.

I am very grateful for the detailed response from Bro58 and Mrs Hurtyback!

THIS GOVERNMENT IS HELL BENT ON KILLING SUICIDAL PEOPLE JUST TO WIN VOTES - THIS IS DISGRACEFUL, WHAT IS THE COUNTRY COMMING TO WHEN THOSE WHO are certified as medically sick, are hounded and pushed to beg for their entitlements?

As far as Austerity goes, what about the people who caused this mess, we are now facing!! I bet they don't have to cut their entitlements - or have to prove through medical after medical and then appeal that they are entitled to what they have already confirmed is a illness!!

DIGRACEFUL MR CAMERON - what a joke!!

More
8 years 6 months ago #142433 by Gordon
Newb

The decision to use your old DLA reports or not is one that you need to make, many claimants with an indefinite award may not have been re-assessed for many years and their DLA evidence may no longer be relevant to their conditions, for others with deteriorating conditions it may offer a "stake in the ground" as to how they were effected at some time in the past.

Whatever you choice we still strongly recommend providing current or more up to date evidence wherever possible.

Also, even if you tick the box, your DLA reports may no longer be available having been destroyed due to their age and their in no requirement for the assessor or Decision Maker to look at them even if available.

Treat this as a completely new claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 6 months ago #142439 by newb
Thank you Gordon

will repost when dreaded forms are sent to us.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.