× Members

ESA was stopped

More
8 years 5 months ago #143396 by Matey
ESA was stopped was created by Matey
Dear Gordon

I am on Contribution bases ESA in the Support group after being transferred 16 months ago from SDA.

Since then, I have notified them of when I was going away. I have given the dates of my holiday in advance and stated what is recommended on this site, about being absent from my usual place of residence.

Recently I did exactly the same, gave notice, the two week dates and sent by recorded delivery, which I know they received.

While I was away, unbeknown to me, my ESA was stopped.

I did not notice at first, one because I have been unwell and two because I received my 'invitation' to transfer from DLA to PIP, which as you can imagine, kept me rather occupied.

When I discovered my ESA had not been paid for a month, I contacted the ESA department.
A nice lady at their call centre told me it was because of my letter, as "they did not know where I was"?

I told her I had been on holiday, so she then reinstated my ESA to paid a few days later. As it wasn't paid on the day she stated, I telephoned the ESA dept again, to be told it would be paid the next day. Which I am thankful to say, it was.

I asked why it had been stopped again, and was told, again because of my letter. Asked why they had not written to me, to tell me, I was told, 'they had tried to telephone me'. I had received no call, or answerphone message.

I am at a complete loss, as to why my ESA was stopped, so have written to them, two weeks ago by recorded delivery, asking why.

I have yet to receive an answer.

Can you shed any light, on why you think my ESA was stopped. What did I do wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #143399 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA was stopped
Matey

From what you have posted there is no reason for your ESA to have been stopped, I'm afraid you will have to wait for more information from the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matey

More
8 years 5 months ago #144016 by Matey
Replied by Matey on topic ESA was stopped
Hello all

After returning my PIP2 just under a month ago, I have today received a text telling me that Atos have appointments available over the next seven days.

I have not received a letter to say that I need a medical assessment.

Does this text mean that I will need to have a medical assessment? Should I expect to receive written notification of this first?

As an aside, as you will see from my previous post, over three weeks ago, I wrote to ESA asking why they stopped my ESA, while I was away on a two week holiday. Although they have now restarted my ESA.
I have not received a reply to this letter. Can you advise what I should do next.

Many thanks

More
8 years 5 months ago #144038 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA was stopped
Matey

The first thing ATOS will do is look at your PIP2 and the associated evidence to see whether they can make a recommendation on the paper evidence alone, if they can then your file with their recommendation will be returned to the DWP if not then you will receive an appointment to an assessment, this will be in writing and you should receive seven days notice as a minimum, although postage time will be included in this.

As to the ESA, I am assuming you have not bee paid for the two weeks, give them a call and ask what is going on, they cannot stop payment without offering you an opportunity to challenge the Decision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matey

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #144040 by Matey
Replied by Matey on topic ESA was stopped
Thank you for your reply.

Thankfully they have paid me all that was owed to me, five days after my phone call them.

What I am still concerned about, is why was it stopped in the first place. As I had written to them giving over a month's notice of my two week holiday, including the dates. This gave them plenty of time to contact me before my holiday, if they had a query about it.

I want to learn what I did wrongly, so that I can prevent it happening again.

So you'd advise wiring to them again via recorded delivery?
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

8 years 5 months ago #144043 by
Replied by on topic ESA was stopped

Matey wrote: Thank you for your reply.

Thankfully they have paid me all that was owed to me, five days after my phone call them.

What I am still concerned about, is why was it stopped in the first place. As I had written to them giving over a month's notice of my two week holiday, including the dates. This gave them plenty of time to contact me before my holiday, if they had a query about it.

I want to learn what I did wrongly, so that I can prevent it happening again.

So you'd advise wiring to them again via recorded delivery?

Hi M,

As Gordon has advised, they should not have stopped your ESA without providing a written decision notice giving reasons, and offering you the opportunity to challenge the decision.

You are allowed to receive ESA for up to 28 days if you are going abroad, and you correctly informed them that you would be away for a fortnight.

They do seem to stop ESA payments as a knee jerk reaction now, and once stopped, they have to be manually reinstated by a DWP employee.

If yours were stopped as a "knee jerk" reaction to receiving your letter, and you were not there to notice this, they would not be reinstated until you contacted them.

So, "Yes" if they still owe you money from when they stopped your ESA, you can challenge this by writing to them :

Sending Documents to the DWP.

bro58

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.