× Members

Information in regard to withdrawing a PIP appeal?

More
8 years 4 months ago #145853 by Invisible-Man
Hi all,

I submitted an oral appeal in regard to an award of standard rate daily living and standard rate mobility, I then got a telephone call from DWP offering to change the mobilty to enhanced rate but to keep the daily living unchanged.......I did not agree to this as this would have dimissed the appeal when I still did not agree with standard rate of daily living.......

After now receiving the DWP response paperwork for the appeal I am now thinking not to go ahead with the appeal after all, especially as I did not know this would give you fresh appeal rights.......

Before deciding to cancel the appeal, I was just trying to find out that if I do, will the DWP automaticaly change the mobility to the enhanced rate as they previously agreed this during the appeal process, or do they not have to commit to the earlier offer?

Also I'm now thinking that if they are commited to their offer if I end the appeal, a better option would be to get what they are offering and then just start a written appeal afterwards in connection with just the standard rate daily living.......

Any advice would be much appreciated...... :unsure: thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #145856 by Gordon

Invisible-Man wrote: Hi all,

I submitted an oral appeal in regard to an award of standard rate daily living and standard rate mobility, I then got a telephone call from DWP offering to change the mobilty to enhanced rate but to keep the daily living unchanged.......I did not agree to this as this would have dimissed the appeal when I still did not agree with standard rate of daily living.......

After now receiving the DWP response paperwork for the appeal I am now thinking not to go ahead with the appeal after all, especially as I did not know this would give you fresh appeal rights.......

Before deciding to cancel the appeal, I was just trying to find out that if I do, will the DWP automaticaly change the mobility to the enhanced rate as they previously agreed this during the appeal process, or do they not have to commit to the earlier offer?

Also I'm now thinking that if they are commited to their offer if I end the appeal, a better option would be to get what they are offering and then just start a written appeal afterwards in connection with just the standard rate daily living.......

The normal procedure when the DWP revise the appealed Decision to one that is more in favour to the claimant is that they apply the new Decision and lapse (cancel) the appeal.

Your post suggests that they offered you a choice, this would be unusual, so I would first check back with the DWP to find out what is going on with your claim, then you can decide on your next option.

In case you are not aware, a Tribunal panel can reach any Decision that was originally available to the Decision Maker, this means that in addition to increasing your award they can also reduce or remove it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #145857 by Invisible-Man
Replied by Invisible-Man on topic Information in regard to withdrawing a PIP appeal?
Hi Gordon,

Yes your first paragraph is correct, but at the time I did not want the appeal to lapse because they were only going to change the mobility and not the dailing living also......

Thanks

More
8 years 4 months ago #145860 by Invisible-Man
Replied by Invisible-Man on topic Information in regard to withdrawing a PIP appeal?
On reading again Gordon......are you saying that the DWP would normally cancel the appeal automatically if altering just one part of the appeal in your favour without any contact?

Gordon wrote:

Invisible-Man wrote: Hi all,

The normal procedure when the DWP revise the appealed Decision to one that is more in favour to the claimant is that they apply the new Decision and lapse (cancel) the appeal.

Your post suggests that they offered you a choice, this would be unusual, so I would first check back with the DWP to find out what is going on with your claim, then you can decide on your next option.

In case you are not aware, a Tribunal panel can reach any Decision that was originally available to the Decision Maker, this means that in addition to increasing your award they can also reduce or remove it.

Gordon

More
8 years 4 months ago #145866 by Gordon

Invisible-Man wrote: On reading again Gordon......are you saying that the DWP would normally cancel the appeal automatically if altering just one part of the appeal in your favour without any contact?

No! not without contacting you, you should receive a new Decision Letter, but they do not have to award what you have appealed for, only a more advantageous award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #145935 by Invisible-Man
Hmmmm,

I realise that they would contact me with the updated decision, but

So by the DWP phoning to see if I would be happy with the new decision that they were willing to give (with apeal lapsing) before giving it and not mentioning that I would have a right to appeal again for the daily living that they were not going to upgrade a bit naughty.......

I did not know until after the telephone call and only recently that I would get fresh appeal rights, therefore I said that I would not be happy for the appeal to lapse without getting all that I am appealing.....

So, is the DWP right in not changing the enhanced mobility that they now beleive I am entitled to and allow the appeal to carry on?

Feels a bit like blackmail to me!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.