× Members

Understanding Chewing/Swallowing food ESA

More
8 years 2 months ago #149939 by craig3474
I wonder if someone could help me and shed any light on this descriptor. I have just had a ESA50.
I had jaw cancer and had to have a 13 hour operation to remove my jaw bone and rebuild it with hip bone, and then under go chemotherapy.

Its left me with huge problems regarding my speech, eating and chewing because i now have a limit on how wide i can open my mouth, my jaw constantly aches when chewing. I often have to have to stop eating because of the dis comfort

If this descriptor applies to myself, would I be considered to be put into the support group?
I have expressed my difficulties in the past, but they have either give me in adequate points to which i appealed or put me in work related group. Is there any point in me noting this again?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149974 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Understanding Chewing/Swallowing food ESA
C

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I think the simple answer is that if you don't include the information then they cannot consider it.

The SG is not points based, you need to meet on or more of the SG specific Descriptors,

From your brief explanation of your problems SG Descriptor 16(b) would seem to apply.

Cannot chew or swallow food or drink without repeatedly stopping, experiencing
breathlessness or severe discomfort

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #149995 by craig3474
Replied by craig3474 on topic Understanding Chewing/Swallowing food ESA
Hi Gordon, thanks for the advice,
Ive always explained the trouble and discomfort i have speaking, drooling, eating and chewing on my questionaiire form, but its never makes no difference to them, ill give it another go, many thanks Gordon

More
8 years 2 months ago #150020 by Gordon

CCJ wrote: Hi Gordon, thanks for the advice,
Ive always explained the trouble and discomfort i have speaking, drooling, eating and chewing on my questionaiire form, but its never makes no difference to them, ill give it another go, many thanks Gordon

The requirement is that you experience "severe discomfort", I can't give you a definition of what this means, I think it reasonable to assume that is more than the "significant discomfort that ESA usually uses and that it is less than "severe pain", but it is for you to make the case that this is how you are effected.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #150241 by Bearer
Replied by Bearer on topic Understanding Chewing/Swallowing food ESA
I thought the "or" meant that severe discomfort was one of three options, another one being "repeatedly stopping", as in this case. I guess someone with a clinical jaw problem might have to stop repeatedly for a range of reasons.

If "discomfort" has its ordinary meaning, then-
1. it includes the full range of lower level pain from "it doesn't hurt but I'm aware of it most of the time" via "it's not a pain, just sore" to "yes it hurts, but it's not a bad pain."

2. it also encompasses several more symptoms than pain.

I think the guidance to the HCP/functional assessors describes a person with symptoms after a jaw op for cancer as an example of someone qualifying for Support Group on this descriptor.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150267 by Gordon

Bearer wrote: I thought the "or" meant that severe discomfort was one of three options, another one being "repeatedly stopping", as in this case. I guess someone with a clinical jaw problem might have to stop repeatedly for a range of reasons.

If "discomfort" has its ordinary meaning, then-
1. it includes the full range of lower level pain from "it doesn't hurt but I'm aware of it most of the time" via "it's not a pain, just sore" to "yes it hurts, but it's not a bad pain."

2. it also encompasses several more symptoms than pain.

I think the guidance to the HCP/functional assessors describes a person with symptoms after a jaw op for cancer as an example of someone qualifying for Support Group on this descriptor.

It is one of three options, however, CCJ specifically mentioned "discomfort" in there reply which is why I responded that the requirement was "severe discomfort".

These are phrases used in the legislation, so whilst I do not disagree with your definition of "discomfort", it is not the phrase used and defines something that is less than the requirement being tested.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.