× Members

Called for Assessment in support group

• Gary
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #151293 by Gary
Hi. Can anyone help here? In Oct 14, I applied for ESA, and due to my condition knew I automatically scored 15pts in one category. I was placed in the Support Group without a medical.

In Dec 15 I was asked to fill out another ESA50 form, and again knew I automatically scored 15pts in the same category as previous. If anything, due to two additional medical conditions since, I would have expected my overall score to have risen.

I have now received the letter asking me to attend a medical. I find this most strange since my condition has not changed, and I would therefore have expected the same criteria to apply.

Has anyone else experienced similar? What is going on in this instance? I thought that if you scored enough on the ESA50, the medical was not required? Who should I contact for clarification in this instance.

Thanks.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #151314 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Called for Assessment in support group
Hi Gary and welcome to the forum. This link should help you find your way around the site.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

The whole thrust of the welfare reforms was that benefit recipients would be reassessed periodically. Whether or not you have a face2face assessment is purely at the discretion of the HealthCare Professional who scrutinised your claim paperwork. Whatever the reason, this person clearly feels that they do not have enough information to make a decision without you being seen in person. To put it bluntly, it is all very well you saying that you should score x points, the assessor does not take your word for it!

If you have further questions regarding your ESA claim, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. We do ask you to keep everything in one placeas it makes our jobs a little easier. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now. Thank you for your co-operation :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
8 years 3 months ago #151316 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Called for Assessment in support group
Gary

It could be because the Assessment Provider has changed from ATOS to Maximus and their procedures are different. I'm afraid it is virtually impossible to force a paper assessment if the AP has decided that a face to face is required.

There are very few conditions that would result in an automatic award of ESA, only those in the Exemptions category, there are conditions where if the claimant is sufficiently affected, such as severely restricted vision or blindness, which could if sufficiently supported by documentation, that should enable a paper assessment, but without more detail, which you of course don't have to provide on the forum, it's impossible to say that you meet the criteria.

You don't say whether your attending would be an issue? If it would then you can request a home assessment, but you will need a letter from your GP explaining why you cannot attend at their offices.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 months ago #151319 by Rh
At my DLA appeal the DWP guy told me due to backlogs people were being put in support group if enough evidence on paper and then being called in for f2f at a later date ,even DLA judge said same thing.

More
8 years 3 months ago #151321 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Called for Assessment in support group

Rh wrote: At my DLA appeal the DWP guy told me due to backlogs people were being put in support group if enough evidence on paper and then being called in for f2f at a later date ,even DLA judge said same thing.

Nothing DWP does will surprise me!

• Gary
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #151339 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Called for Assessment in support group
Thank you for the responses. My condition is what used to be called Multiple Personality, and thus the question that automatically qualified me for the Support Group was the one asking if you have 'blank' moments. Since these happen on a daily basis, I was considered a substantial risk to the safety of others.

This could prove interesting at a face to face, since if one of the other personalities takes over whilst I am there, this could lead to any number of scenarios.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris