× Members

Work coach interview?

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152325 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Work coach interview? was created by rayisfun@hotmail.com
I am currently waiting for the results of my change over from PIP to DLA. I had received an indefinite award for DLA in the past but I'm not sure what the PIP result will be after the assessment interview over a month ago.

At the end of last year I also applied for ESA and was awarded extra money because I was assessed as severely disabled. I have recently received a letter from Jobcentreplus inviting me in for a "work coach interview" while I await my first Work Capability Assessment. Apparently they had tried to phone me but I rarely pick up the phone unless I know who it is and even then find it difficult talking on the phone.

The letter states, "If you choose not to accept this support, or wish to opt out at any time, your benefit will not be affected." I am supposed to ring the Jobcentre if I decide to decline the interview and further support. The reason I applied for PIP is because I am very ill so the thought of another interview scares me sick. I just about got through the PIP assessment.

If I decline this offer is it true that it won't affect any benefit decisions?
I don't want to phone them so can I send a letter instead?
If so, is there a pro forma letter available at B&W as I don't know how to word it?
I was awarded the higher rate of ESA so do I still need to go through a Work Capability Assessment?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152352 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Work coach interview?
Hi Spectralis,

I am assuming that the extra money you mention is a premium because you are on DLA/PIP and claiming income-related ESA. I'm afraid this does not mean that you will not have to undergo a Work Capability Assessment +/- a face2face interview.

ESA Premiums

The only people exempt from mandatory Work Focussed Interviews are those who have been allocated to the Support Group, although it is less usual to be called for these whilst still in the assessment phase.

However, the letter you have received indicated that this appointment is not mandatory. I'm afraid the only way you can be sure is to contact JobCentre+ and ask. If you are obliged to undergo such an interview, it is possible to have them carried out over the phone - although that is entirely at the discretion of the JC+ advisor.

If you have further questions relating to your ESA claim, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. It really does make our lives much easier if everything relating to the same topic is kept in one place.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by slugsta. Reason: added link

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #152395 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Replied by rayisfun@hotmail.com on topic Work coach interview?
Thanks for your reply. The letter says that it is not a mandatory interview and I can opt out of this support without it affecting my benefits. I find it very difficult to communicate over the phone. I had help from the CAB to make my ESA claim and the CAB advisor and I made this clear to the person I spoke to when I made my claim. So I'm trying to find a way to let the job centre know that I don't want to take up their offer. Is it acceptable to write to them if I find communicating over the phone difficult? I wonder if anyone else has been in this position and might advise? Has anyone else received a letter like this and what did you do?

This PIP/DLA process seems endless and I just find all the different aspects of it exhausting. How does anyone get through it? When I went for the PIP assessment the assessor said that I was able to communicate but I was forced to be there and answer questions regardless of how difficult I found it otherwise my claim would have been stopped. If you don't engage there are sanctions but if you do then superficial judgements are made based on one interview. It seems a no win situation. I experience depression, anxiety, panic attacks and an OCD condition causing self harm and suicidal thoughts. I'm receiving drug treatment and counselling. With some difficulty I'm able to explain how it affects me but that still doesn't make it any less frightening to live with. I find the benefits system really is a modern form of torture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #152560 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Is there any information about the ESA process and what to expect if not put into the support group? I'd like to find out more information about the work interviews. Whether the advisor's pay any attention to the mental health condition when imposing an action plan?

More
8 years 1 month ago #152599 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Work coach interview?

Spectralis wrote: Is there any information about the ESA process and what to expect if not put into the support group? I'd like to find out more information about the work interviews. Whether the advisor's pay any attention to the mental health condition when imposing an action plan?

Have a look at the following

www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/16%20WRA%20...nts_tcm44-260921.pdf

it has a good description of the activities that someone in the WRAG may be asked to do.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #152798 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Thanks Gordon, that's incredibly helpful. Especially the part about applying for jobs,

"Can I be made to look for a job?

No. If you are made to look for a job or made to work, seek advice. The Work Programme for
people on ESA is meant to improve their chances of getting a job when they are well enough, not
to force them in to work or in to applying for jobs."

I'm trying to write a report about my PIP assessment experience, including details of the venue, in case that's helpful to others in the future. The more specific info we have then hopefully the more prepared people will be to face this onslaught. Based on my PIP assessment and the process so far I think it's unnecessarily cruel and might even possibly contravene my human rights. I wonder if putting disabled people through such a physical and psychological ordeal could be classified as a form of state abuse or even torture? Where do the rights of the state to regulate benefits and the rights of the disabled individual begin and end? Has anyone tried to take this government to court over its changes to benefits?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.