× Members

Success story and question

More
8 years 1 month ago #155517 by Alison
Success story and question was created by Alison
Hi there

I am writing to thank the B&W team. I was turned down for PIP, when I was eventually interviewed in August 2015. I had initially applied in the March of that year. I immediately asked for a mandatory reconsideration, and signed up for your guides - and provided the decision makers with further information, based on your advice.

I was very relieved to find out that the incomprehensible decision was overturned, and I was then awarded PIP at daily standard rate for 10 years. I was also subsequently put into the ESA support group without an interview (apparently to be reviewed in around 1 year.). Again, this happened after I followed the advice in your guides. Thank you so much. I couldn't have got this far without you :-)

I am now seeking clarification on backdated payments. Given that the PIP initial decision was overturned, I was told in the DWP confirmation letter that they will award me PIP back to March 2015 (a year backdated.) I was on basic JSA for around 4 months from March - Juney/July 2015. Should I not also be eligible for a disability premium for those 3/4 months? I was living alone without a carer during that period, and I am now currently in receipt of Severe Disability Premium, but nothing backdated. I called the DWP helpline and was told there are no disability premiums while on JSA. However, everything I am reading on the internet, suggests otherwise. Hope you can clarify the situation, and thank you again.. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #155536 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Success story and question
Hi Alison,

That's great news! Thanks for letting us know and for your kind words about B+W :)

The important thing with the disability premiums is that you are on income-related benefit. So, if you were on iIR JSA I believe you should be paid the premium - it certainly appears so from my quick internet search! Maybe one of my more experienced colleagues can comment further

This message contains confidential information

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alison

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #155601 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Success story and question
Hi A,

Congratulations on your PIP Award !! :cheer:

We do not really advise on JSA issues but looking at this extract below :

"3. Eligibility

To qualify for a disability premium with Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), you or your partner must be under pension credit age and either registered blind or getting:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Working Tax Credit with a disability element
Attendance Allowance
Constant Attendance Allowance
War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
Severe Disablement Allowance
Incapacity Benefit"

If you were claiming Income Based JSA whilst being entitled to a PIP Award, you should also be entitled to payment of The Basic Disability Premium top up for that period !

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155625 by Alison
Replied by Alison on topic Success story and question
Thanks very much for your help. I'm going to write and request a backdated payment. The eligibility for these disability premiums sounds complicated! :-)

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris