× Members

Not sure what to make of ESA assessment

More
8 years 3 months ago #147536 by Jas10
Morning All,

Wonder if somebody can help me please.

I have just started claiming ESA because my SSP has come to its end. I have already received my ESA50 and am going through the process of filling in (with the help of the fantastic B&W guides)

My condition has me virtually housebound and I suffer with pain & fatigue daily which prevents me from going out.

What I'm wondering is this. If I am placed in WRAG would I still be expected to attend the work support interview thingys even though I am still employed and have a job to return to once (hopefully) I start to feel better?

I know I'm jumping the gun in worrying, but I'm panicking that I won't be able to attend because of pain and lose my benefit. If anyone has any advice I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #147566 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic Not sure what to make of ESA assessment
Hi Jas10

I've just been checking on the rules about Sanctions (reduction in the amount of money you receive) if you are unable to satisfy the rules about attending Work Related activity interviews.

You MAY not be sanctioned if your health and disability prevent you from attending such interviews. The decision maker will presumably be aware of your ongoing medical/mental health condition and will be able to advise you accordingly. So long as you make them aware of your inability to attend - preferably in writing, and maybe with support from your GP? - (don't just ignore the interview and hope it will all go away) hopefully there will not be a problem. I'm sure that the fact that you are hopeful of returning to an existing job will be in your favour.

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas10

More
8 years 3 months ago #147575 by Jas10
Replied by Jas10 on topic Not sure what to make of ESA assessment
Thanks very much for your reply Shelam.

I wasn't sure how people already in work would be treated. You have put my mind at rest

Many thanx

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155939 by Jas10
I had my ESA assessment today and I can't decide if it went well or not so am hoping for some thoughts please.

I was called in 20 minutes late so was pretty uncomfortable with pain. I have been signed off work for 10 months and have various health conditions. The HCP was really nice and helped me to feel relaxed. She was a physio, but was aware of my condition. My eyes were stinging because I was so tired and she acknowledged this.

She asked me about my IBS and incontinence and then how my JHS/EDS affected me daily. She tested the movement of my limbs and the strength of my fingers and hands (whilst I remained seated in the chair), and she didn't expect me to do the movements if they were painful or uncomfortable. That was it. I was in there about 15 mins. She asked me to wait in the waiting room while she made a call and then told me that DWP would be in touch in about 4 weeks.

Does anybody know who or why she would make a call? and is such a quick assessment a good or bad thing?

I'm only worried because I only leave home for appointments due to extreme pain and fatigue and if I'm found fit for work (before I'm able to return to my job) I won't be able to maintain JSA requirements.

If anyone has any thoughts I will be grateful to hear them.

Thanks

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #155965 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Not sure what to make of ESA assessment
Hi Jas,

I have merged your query with your previous topic relating to your ESA claim. It helps us enormously if everything about the same claim is kept in one place.

We have given up trying to guess the outcome from the way an assessment was conducted. However, the fact that the Healthcare Professional made a phone call and terminated the assessment does suggest that you might be placed in the Support Group.

However, we will only know for sure when the letter lands on your mat. Things have slowed down somewhat recently and we are currently seeing decisions take around 8 weeks after the assessment.

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now.

That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your PIP related queries to this topic ! :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas10

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #155978 by Jas10
Thanks for your reply Mrs H

My deepest apologies for starting a new thread, I totally forgot that I had started one a few months ago (This dreaded memory of mine :dry: )

Thanks for your reply, I thought a quick assessment would mean a problem but your reply has put my mind at rest

I'll await the brown envelope lol

Many thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.