× Members

PIP Claim

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147722 by Steve
PIP Claim was created by Steve
Hi, If you use a mobility scooter and actually go to the assessment using it, would they consider you as self mobilizing with regard to the 20m walking rule?
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147727 by
Replied by on topic PIP Claim

Steve wrote: Hi, If you use a mobility scooter and actually go to the assessment using it, would they consider you as self mobilizing with regard to the 20m walking rule?

Hi S,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

The PIP Moving Around part of PIP Mobility is purely a "Walking Test" so if you have to use your Mobility Scooter through necessity rather than by choice, any distance that you can move on the Mobility Scooter only, is not counted.

The term "Mobilising" is not used in the PIP Activities, it is only used for ESA Activity 1, where self propelling a Manual Wheelchair unaided is taken into account !

As confirmed in my response to another member : Here.

See also : PIP Self Test

PIP Points Scoring System

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser so that you can return to your topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have. :)

bro58

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147948 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic PIP Claim
Hi, thank you for the reply, but I'm a little confused. The person uses the scooter the vast majority of the time and could probably walk a couple of meters before needing scooter. So are you saying that only the two meters will be taken into account when being assessed, thus qualify for the higher rate of mobility.
Sorry if I'm confusing you with this question

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #147960 by
Replied by on topic PIP Claim

Steve wrote: Hi, thank you for the reply, but I'm a little confused. The person uses the scooter the vast majority of the time and could probably walk a couple of meters before needing scooter. So are you saying that only the two meters will be taken into account when being assessed, thus qualify for the higher rate of mobility.
Sorry if I'm confusing you with this question

Hi S,

Yes, the PIP Moving Around Activity only assesses the distance that you can Walk Reliably for the majority of the days.

Any distance that you can Move in any form of wheelchair or on any form of Mobility Scooter cannot be taken into account.

The important issue is that you must be using the Wheelchair/ Mobility Scooter through necessity rather than by choice.

So as long as you can show that you are doing so through necessity rather than by choice for the majority of the days, if you can only Walk a "couple of metres before needing your scooter" this should result in you receiving the maximum 12 points for the Moving Around Activity and an Enhanced PIP Mobility Award.

Of course, you would need to prove that this was the case, otherwise there may be scenarios where PIP claimants would be buying/hiring Wheelchairs/Mobility Scooter even if they did not need them through necessity, in an attempt to gain an Enhanced PIP Mobility Award.

Not that I am insinuating that anyone would do so, but I am making the statement from DWP's viewpoint !!

bro58

More
8 years 2 months ago #150614 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic PIP Claim
Does the HP need to have your paperwork to hand whilst conducting an assessment?
Or at the very least read the information you have provided on the pip form?
If neither happened would the medical be void?

More
8 years 2 months ago #150635 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Claim

Steve wrote: Does the HP need to have your paperwork to hand whilst conducting an assessment?
Or at the very least read the information you have provided on the pip form?
If neither happened would the medical be void?

There is no specific requirement for the assessor to have your paperwork with you during the assessment but they should have read it before the interview.

Their failing to have read your evidence would certainly count against the validity of the report but it certainly would not invalidate it, you would need to show that there were fundamental problems with the assessment report that could be tied to their failing to have reviewed it. Doing this would not result in an award, the most likely result would be a requirement for a new assessment to be carried out.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.