× Members

ESA medical after TWO years in assessment phase!

More
8 years 1 week ago #157215 by Brawn
I'll try to keep this short but would appreciate some help please. On 3rd October 2013 I was signed off sick and have been since. I claimed ESA CB in April 2014 and have been in the assessment phase ever since (yes 2 years!). I rang twice to chase up a medical but was told I'm in the queue! I ran out of contributions in April 2015 so have had no money since. I moved home (and counties) last September and although I told Benifits office my new address they still sent mail to my old address (which redirected). When I sent my new fit note in last month I was very clear I'd moved home and finally they changed my address. Unbelievably it seems to have triggered a medical and I went for this medical on 19th April 2016. The medical was stopped halfway through and the lady made a phone call. I have no idea what this means. Then two days later I received an esa1 form to fill in saying at the top 'contributions exhausted'. I phoned the benefits office this morning who have said as I'm not entitled to IR Esa not to fill the form out as its a waste of time and she will put a note on my records to say that's what she said. I took her name. I'm now concerned about this as it says form should be in within a month.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #157225 by shelam
Hello Lea

From what you have said, it appears that you are not entitled to any rate of ESA - not Income Related or Contribution Based - therefore there is no point in your filling in the application form.

You could contact the DWP and ask whether there is any benefit in your applying for PIP? Might be worth a try.

Sorry not to be of more help.

More
8 years 1 week ago #157236 by Gordon
Lea

I'm afraid I disagree.

The actions of the assessors are consistent with a possible recommendation for the ESA Support Group, if this is the case then you your ESA(CB) payments will be re-instated, given the time since your ESA(CB) stopped it's possible that your computer record has been deleted and this is why the ESA1 has been issued.

Unless, you have been told by the DWP that you have been found Fit for Work I would give them another call and ask if a Decision has been made yet on your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 week ago #157310 by Brawn
Thank you for your help. It was very abrupt when the medical was stopped. We were probably half way through when the assessor suddenly said I need to stop this interview. Then she said she needed to make a phone call. I was a bit flummoxed and didn't understand what was happening. After the lady left the room my sister who was with me said they've stopped the assessment. The assessor apologised for the fact I'd got to walk back up the long corridor (yes that famous trick of putting me in the room furthest away!).

The letter that came with the form says they're writing to me because it is possible that they might be able to award me ESA again. I'm just hoping Gordon is right and it's good news...I've waited long enough to be assessed. Surely if I'm not put in the Support group I'll have some come back because I didn't have the full assessment.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159169 by Brawn
Well today I got my letter and am happy to say after two years in the assessment phase I have been put in support group. Best of it is I knew before the letter came as the back pay was in my bank account first. It doesn't say for how long and it doesn't say if I will have to continue sending in sick notes. Also just to ask, if I ring am I able to ask for a copy of the report? Thanks for your help.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159226 by Gordon

Lea wrote: Well today I got my letter and am happy to say after two years in the assessment phase I have been put in support group. Best of it is I knew before the letter came as the back pay was in my bank account first. It doesn't say for how long and it doesn't say if I will have to continue sending in sick notes. Also just to ask, if I ring am I able to ask for a copy of the report? Thanks for your help.

Congratulations on the award.

You don't need to send Fit Notes now that you have received the Decision Letter. ESA awards are indefinite with regular reassessment, if you phone the DWP they can tell you when they intend to look at your claim again, you can also ask for the assessment report, it will be an ESA85.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.