× Members

DLA to PIP advice please

More
7 years 11 months ago #158507 by idbelucky
DLA to PIP advice please was created by idbelucky
Hi all,
I have been a member for quite some time now but this is the first time that I have posted. I am hoping someone could give me their view on my situation.

I have low care DLA on an indefinite award since 2008. I have rheumatoid arthritis which has got progressively worse this year, I am considering applying for PIP because of changes in my circumstance.

Has anyone else done this? I would value other people’s opinion before making this move.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #158519 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic DLA to PIP advice please
Hello Pat

You don't say how old you are, but I'm assuming you aren't over 64? If you're not, then you will be 'invited' to apply for PIP at some time in the future anyway, so all depends on whether you are willing to possibly lose the (quite small) amount you are receiving for lowest rate care DLA, in the hope that you will obtain the standard amount of PIP. or whether you choose to hang on until you HAVE to apply.

All depends really on how unwell you are, how much evidence you have to support your claim, and whether your nerve is strong enough to risk it. I have rheumatoid disease myself and know how debilitating it can be; if you have a good rheumatologist who is willing to support your claim, and a good GP who is also supportive, then you could risk it; just be aware of the danger of losing it entirely.

Good luck with whatever decision you make :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #158533 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA to PIP advice please
Hi Pat and welcome to the forum.

PIP was deliberately made harder to get than DLA and there are only 2 rates, standard and enhanced, of each component. Some people who were, quite properly, receiving DLA will find that they do not qualify for PIP :(

Have you done our PIP self-assessment? Make sure you score yourself harshly and see if you feel that you meet the criteria. Once you have started a PIP claim there will be no going back. Your DLA will continue to be paid until 4 weeks after a decision is made on the PIP claim. Then it will stop, even if PIP is refused.

If you do decide to go ahead don't forget to make full use of our PIP guides

PIP help for claimants

You might want to bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future. That will allow you to return with further questions/comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #166808 by idbelucky
Replied by idbelucky on topic DLA to PIP advice please
Thank you Ms Hurtyback and Shelam for your reply, sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I have been going through a bad time with my Rheumatoid Arthritis since January and had several infections requiring antibiotics.

Once recovered from the infections I decided that I would take the plunge and applied for the changeover to PIP. By the time the PIP2 for arrived I had gathered medical evidence and my answers to the questions were sorted, making full use of your guides.

The DWP received my pip2 a week ago, how long is it normally before you get an appointment for a f2f?

Thank you in advance for your support.

P

More
7 years 8 months ago #166833 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP advice please
Pat

I would expect you to get a appointment letter in 2-3 weeks of your PIP2 being returned for an appointment no more than a couple of weeks later, so perhaps 4-5 weeks at the most.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #166941 by idbelucky
Replied by idbelucky on topic DLA to PIP advice please
Thank you Gordon.

I have received a letter today with an appointment for 7 September.
They have included information on how to get there by public transport but nothing regarding parking, does anyone know what parking is like at st Peters House, Derby? Also do you know if the travel expenses are paid for the return journey as well.

Thank you
Pat

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.