× Members

claiming ESA again

More
7 years 10 months ago #161943 by davo
claiming ESA again was created by davo
Hi could you please tell me if i can claim ESA again ,had an appeal hearing on the 27/01/16 and was turned down ,have been on JSA from the 27/01/16 ,and have just been told by doctors that i have severe sleep apnoea ,this is a different illness to the one i had before ,(anxiety and depression ) i still suffer from the latter ,could you please advise me on what to do next thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161960 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic claiming ESA again

davo wrote: Hi could you please tell me if i can claim ESA again ,had an appeal hearing on the 27/01/16 and was turned down ,have been on JSA from the 27/01/16 ,and have just been told by doctors that i have severe sleep apnoea ,this is a different illness to the one i had before ,(anxiety and depression ) i still suffer from the latter ,could you please advise me on what to do next thanks

Yes you can make a new claim on the basis of a new condition, but there is a risk that the DWP will not pay you until you have had an assessment, you must make it clear that you have a new condition and you may need to explain why this new condition would lead to an award.

Whilst you should definitely make a claim, I do have to warn you that Sleep Apnoea is not well regarded for ESA and you will need to prepare a detailed case as to why you should receive an award if you claim is accepted.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #162019 by davo
Replied by davo on topic claiming ESA again
HI Gordon thanks for the reply ,could i ask if i came off JSA and made a claim for ESA and they didnt pay is there any help out there if you have no income ? thanks

More
7 years 10 months ago #162021 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic claiming ESA again

davo wrote: HI Gordon thanks for the reply ,could i ask if i came off JSA and made a claim for ESA and they didnt pay is there any help out there if you have no income ? thanks

You may be able to claim a Hardship Payment and another option would be a Benefit Advance, see

www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Hardsh...s-a-Hardship-Payment

and

www.gov.uk/short-term-benefit-advance

You may also be able make a claim for Housing Benefit based on nil income.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris