× Members

Please help - ESA denied after assessment

More
7 years 10 months ago #162437 by PurpleCrutches
Please help - ESA denied after assessment was created by PurpleCrutches
Hello,

Just had a phone call from the benefits centre to say that my ESA claim has been denied. Apparently I scored 0 points at the medical assessment. I know that this is not true, I have back problems, I walk using 2 crutches and am in constant pain.

I had a PIP assessment in January which was approved and am on PIP until 2018. The report from that shows the problems I have in getting about.

Throughout the medical assessment I was rocking on the chair, was leaning on my crutches etc because I had to wait for 45 minutes in the waiting room. My eyes were closed a lot and I was breathing heavily.

I have no idea why/how they could have scored me 0 points and i don't know what to do. I'm very frightened, I don't know what to do now, I'm sat sobbing because I can't think of any job I could possibly do. They told me to apply for JSA in the meantime, they said I can appeal, but what do I do? What can I do? Can I fight this?

Please, can anyone help me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #162466 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Please help - ESA denied after assessment
PurpleCrutches

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our ESA MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the ESA area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report (ESA85) if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #162812 by PurpleCrutches
Replied by PurpleCrutches on topic Please help - ESA denied after assessment
Hello,

So I've got back the decision, I have requested a Mandatory Reconsideration by telephone and I need to follow this up with a letter. The person I spoke to told me that when I send the letter, I need to write down everything that I believe is wrong with the assessment.

So, here's the problems I have - I hope someone can help me put this into "DWP speak"!

The report says, "The HCP observed that (I) was able to sit on a chair with a back for 28 minutes. She rose once from sitting in an upright chair (no chair arms) without physical assistance from another person."

The HCP didn't mention that although I remained seated, I was leaning forwards resting on a crutch because of the pain. I was also breathless, and I had my eyes closed through a lot of her questions. I shifted around a lot, from leaning forwards to leaning back with my arm behind my back for support. It really hurt!

I got up from the chair using both of my crutches to do so. Without the crutches, I would have needed help to get up.

It also says, "The decision maker has considered that a wheelchair could be obtained through the NHS wheelchair service if required, the use of a wheelchair would enable [me] to mobilise more than 200 metres..."

This doesn't take into account that sitting down hurts! I have used wheelchairs in the past from places like Shopmobility and they are no more comfortable to me than a normal chair.

On my ESA50 I indicated that I would have trouble with carrying a large but light cardboard box - this was not mentioned in the assessment. Although I can move my arms around normally for short periods (ie. the waving around that they make you do in the assessment) if I was to extend my arms for a longer period of time (like carrying a cardboard box!) then that would hurt my back.

Other things - "Occasionally she will drive to the local shop to pick up bread or milk on her own, she buys 4 pint bottles... she went out to bingo with her friends and was able to sit down in the bingo hall."

The milk bottles - the HCP asked if I went to the shop, I said very rarely. She asked how I do my grocery shopping and I told her I get it delivered from Tesco with my husband doing the unpacking. THEN she asked how big the milk is I buy - I was thinking about the Tesco shop which is 4 pint bottles, I get smaller ones when I go out by myself!

My trip to the bingo hall was only briefly asked about and doesn't mention the regular breaks I had to have from sitting at the chair.

Those are the issues I have with the medical report. If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #162841 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Please help - ESA denied after assessment
PurpleCrutches

Please forgive the following it's intended to help but may not sound like it :)

You need to look at the ESA Claim guides for the legal definitions of the criteria against which you are being assessed, at first glance your issues derive from not understanding this criteria.

The Standing and Sitting activity looks at your ability to remain at workstation; standing, sitting or moving from one to the other, it is only when you have to move away from the workstation that the clock stops. Although you mention standing in your post it is not clear how long you could do this for and you make no mention of having to move away from the chair.

Although you mention issues with sitting, having been observed to sit for 28 minutes the assumption will be that you could have easily have propelled a wheelchair over the 200m that is tested. In fact, even at a slow pace you could likely propel a wheelchair over 200m in 4-5 minutes.

You are not required to complete the ESA activities pain free, however, any significant discomfort (to use the correct phrase) that limits your ability to complete an activity should be considered.

Are there other reasons why you would not be able to propel a wheelchair, I'm guessing that upper limb issues are not a problem if you are using crutches but do you have angina or breathing problems, can you show that it would be impractical for you to use a wheelchair?

I'm afraid ESA does not consider your ability to carry a large cardboard box.

The reference to you going out supports the view that you can walk in excess of 200m and that you can sit for long periods of time.

The reference to a 4 pint carton of milk is because ESA looks at your ability to move a 1 pint or 2 pint carton on a level surface, there is likely an assumption that you are lifting up a 4 pint carton from the fridge when you make a drink.

My best advice is for you to sit down with your ESA50, the assessment report and our Claim guides and go through each activity to make sure that you have shown that you meet the criteria to score points and where you don't to work out how to explain why you do, where applicable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PurpleCrutches

More
7 years 9 months ago #163180 by PurpleCrutches
Replied by PurpleCrutches on topic Please help - ESA denied after assessment
Hello again!

So after trying again to go through the descriptors, this is what I think and I would appreciate any advice.

The first descriptor, if I am using the "imaginary wheelchair" that the medical assessment assumed, I need an idea of what "repeatedly mobilise within a reasonable timescale" means. Using my arms for a short amount of time is relatively pain free, however continuous arm movements, even for 200m, would cause me pain. I actually had a go on a wheelchair from Shopmobility and found that after 3-4 minutes, the movement of my arms causes pain in my back which I then need to rest before I can continue. I'm not sure how many metres that was, it didn't look like much but I'm rubbish at estimates. I don't know how long a "reasonable timescale" is, but I need to rest before continuing.

The second - (b) Cannot, for the majority of the time, remain at a work station, either:
(i) standing unassisted by another person (even if free to move around) or;
(ii) sitting (even in an adjustable chair); or
(iii) a combination of (i) and (ii),
for more than 30 minutes, before needing to move away in order to avoid significant
discomfort or exhaustion. 9 points

should have been applied to me and I have no idea why it wasn't. I was recorded as sitting for 28 minutes (in a lot of pain) so even by their estimates I come under this descriptor. It should have been less than 30 minutes, as I was in "significant discomfort" about 10 minutes in.

Descriptor 4 - Picking up and moving or transferring by the use of the upper body and arms.
(c) Cannot transfer a light but bulky object such as an empty cardboard box. 6 points.

should also apply. Holding large items puts pressure on my back as my arms are outstretched. Again, I tested this at home and it hurt!

As all of my problems are physical, I think that these are the descriptors that should have been applied to me. If anyone has any thoughts (especially how I should word the appeal) please let me know.

More
7 years 9 months ago #163195 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Please help - ESA denied after assessment
The ESA guide, that explains how to word your initial claim, should help you understand how to phrase things for the appeal. The panel will be less interested in pulling apart the assessor's report and more interested in understanding your difficulties for themselves.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.