× Members

ESA health insurance query, help!

More
6 years 10 months ago #190655 by Tintin
ESA health insurance query, help! was created by Tintin
Hi, my other half is on sick pay and will have to apply for ESA soon. We have a welfare officer helping and are going for the Contribution based, every was going ok until we came to the question of have you any Permanent Health Insurance . He has a short term insurance that pays out for up to a year. We have been on to Turn to us and CAB but they do not know, if I am right PHI is payed until retirement or upon death and obviously should be put on the forms. There is nowhere on the forms that asks for any other insurance only any pensions being received. As this is contribution based only (not income related, which his insurance is) does this need to be included? Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190662 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA health insurance query, help!
Tintin

Personal Health Insurance is treated as if it is a pension for the purposes of ESA(CB) but there are circumstances where it can be disregarded, the people from the CAB really should have knowledge of this, it's possible that you are only speaking to the front line advisors and you really need to be speak to someone from the back office.

The issues are dealt with in Chapter 44 of the Decisions Maker's Guide, which the CAB will have access to. The primary issues are whether he is still employed and whether he contributed to the scheme.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190663 by Gordon
Tintin

Personal Health Insurance is treated as if it is a pension for the purposes of ESA(CB) but there are circumstances where it can be disregarded, the people from the CAB really should have knowledge of this, it's possible that you are only speaking to the front line advisors and you really need to be speak to someone from the back office.

The issues are dealt with in Chapter 44 of the Decisions Maker's Guide, which the CAB will have access to. The primary issues are whether he is still employed and whether he contributed to the scheme.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190669 by Tintin
Replied by Tintin on topic ESA health insurance query, help!
Thanks Gordon, this is a short term income protection covering illness, redundancy etc.,that my hubby took out independently which is being paid monthly, renewed annually. (Only pays for up to 52 weeks). He is being paid SSP through his employer at the moment which we know ends on the 28th week, when he will have to claim ESA. The employer does not pay PHI or anything other than SSP. When checking on Financial Ombudsman the term Permanent Health Insurance means long term which is the health insurance that some employers offer their employees which kicks in after the 28 weeks.
So in theory hubbies insurance is not PHI, confusing or what !!

More
6 years 10 months ago #190670 by Gordon
Tintin

If the insurance has been paid for by your husband and not his employer then I believe it should be disregarded, but that is still a decision that the DWP must make so I would include it on the forum, but provide details of where it came from.

Also, make sure that you take a copy of the form before you return it to the DWP.

Gordon

More
6 years 10 months ago #190673 by Tintin
Replied by Tintin on topic ESA health insurance query, help!
Thanks Gordon
That's what I also think, just surprises me that other organisations don't seem to know. You would have thought that they would have come across this before, just hope other people haven't ticked yes that they have PHI without checking if its permanent or short term only. Hopefully DWP would correct this accordingly.

Thanks for your help, always helpful and reliable.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.