× Members

PIP Criteria

More
5 years 1 month ago #229478 by Hughie
PIP Criteria was created by Hughie
Hi everyone
This is quite a long statement, so I apologise up front.
I have a number of conditions, and I am on enhanced components of PIP both care and mobility. I have had 2 knee replacements (one an abysmal failure), upper disc replacements (again, a failure), and 1 hip replacement. My other hip also needs replacing and I have had over 60 injections in differing regions of my body over the last 5-6 years. On top of those, I have a diagnosis of Psychotic Depression which can be absolutely debilitating when it is at it's peak. I visit a great support group twice weekly, and I hear some truly sad and desperate stories about people being refused their benefits and other sad facts. However, I have through this site, tried to learn what I can about the system, and I am hoping to actively be in a position shortly to perhaps think about helping people from my group to Appeal. They have been left down so many times in the past as services are cut. I have one great fear. Should I forward this information to the DWP, as I would be devastated if they for whatever reason did some kind of NI number check on me and then thought I was scamming the system. I am not, I assure you. I do have days like this morning, where I feel relatively calm and balanced. Unfortunately, by the end of today I could be in bed with the curtains drawn and trying desperately to ignore the whisperings I hear regularly. My walking also worries me. I can walk around 50 metres or so and I look quite average doing it, but then my left knee just begins to buckle. It is like a red hot poker going into it. I also don't have a walking stick, as it causes awful pain in my upper back where the discs were replaced. I know how poorly I can become, and so does my unfortunate Wife, as she bears the brunt of it all. I am making myself quite ill worrying that I may be doing something wrong if I go. The DWP could quite easily turn to me and ask how I knew I was going to be well enough to attend on a certain day. The truth is, I don't. I am just hoping I can make it. In perhaps a foolhardy way, I have mentioned to 2 people at the group that I could help them. I now wish I had not said as such, as I am worried to death. Any advice will be really appreciated. My award does not run out until 2021, and my last award was given on paper following an initial 2 year award. I am also coming up 63 years of age, and I think I could well be considered for the "light touch" approach when my renewal time comes. I am really worrying badly about all this. I suffer awful nightmares as it is through certain past situations, and they have gone up a notch since I started thinking about everything. I know I may have asked about this previously, although I cannot be sure. Sorry to everyone if this post seems trivial. I am not being selfish I promise you. I just cannot help the way I feel at this time. Thank You.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #229498 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Criteria
HughJulie

Does your attending this group conflict with the reasons that you have an award of PIP, for example; you say your walking is restricted so how do you get to the group? Do you have problems being with other people?

You don't need to answer these questions here.

As long as you are happy that there is no conflict then you do not need to inform the DWP and even if there is unless it would result in a change of award then you should be OK with not telling them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 month ago #229558 by Hughie
Replied by Hughie on topic PIP Criteria
Hi Gordon
Thank you for the reply. My Wife actually drives me to the group. I just feel really guilty as there are actually people attending who seem to have far worse problems than I have, and yet they have been refused PIP. My big worry is that a Presenting Officer may be in attendance and then get it in his/her mind to run a check on me. I would genuinely be in pieces if they thought I was not genuine. When I had the home assessment, I was in a really bad way. I had left my work through my health problems and my psychosis was in a really bad stage. However, I do have days when I can chat quite normally and correspond like this, but then I can have a block of 4-5 days when I can hardly talk to anyone, and I become extremely paranoid about things. So much in fact, that my GP was having to ring me on occasion to ensure I was okay. Sorry Gordon, I know I am going round in circles. It is just that I have never done anything wrong in the eyes of the law in my life, and I am just really scared that if I do attend a hearing, I coma across as lucid and quite rational, they will immediately say I am scamming the system. God, I have gotten myself into a right state and situation over all this.
Any further pointers at all will be really appreciated.
Thanking You.

More
5 years 1 month ago #229585 by Gordon
HughJulie

My only other advice is to be circumspect with the advice that you offer, I have been doing this for over 8 years and there are still things that I do not know and that I would not offer advice on, do not ever present yourself as a Representative, this requires training and qualification and you would be doing the claimant a disservice if you did.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 month ago #229702 by Hughie
Replied by Hughie on topic PIP Criteria
Hi Gordon. I am sorry I have not been back in touch sooner. I have just had 3 truly awful days. I got myself in such a state that I practically convinced myself someone was going to kick the door in. I gather from your wording in the last reply that you have some disability issues. Sorry if I am sticking my nose in where it is not wanted, but I was just wondering if the DWP had ever questioned you regarding your ability to help others and similar? It's absolutely fine if you do not publish this. I am not asking for any other reason than to try to find some kind of comfort inasmuch as that perhaps sometimes, just sometimes, the DWP may see things rationally and not jump all over someone who is claiming PIP, but also can function quite acceptably at times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suzy3

More
5 years 1 month ago #229729 by Gordon
HughJulie

The advice I provide on here is within my stated limitations, what members are not aware of is the effect that being online has on me, most days I have to go back to bed after the afternoon session and I regularly fall asleep in my chair after the evening session, exhaustion is one of the reasons that I rarely post over the weekend.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hughie, duckduckdo, Wayne

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.