× Members

Inheritance

More
4 years 11 months ago #230390 by simon
Inheritance was created by simon
regarding inheritance can you help l rent my home from a housing assionsion, very sadly my mother died in my home in fact in my arms suddenly, l find l can not stay in my flat any longer due to trauma. As l have been left a sum of money l could buy a home? would it be seen as being deprivation of capital l have been to my GP as am having flashbacks and this has caused me great distress. The move also would enable me to buy a shared equity property and thus my partner could move in with me Thus give me support my partner does not claim any benefits the Benefits l get are ESA support group HB CT means tested and inharnst pip Are you able to offer any advice thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230401 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Inheritance
Simon

Using the money to purchase a property for you to live in would not be classed Deprivation of Capital but if your ESA is Income Related then you may lose your payments in the interim. You must contact the DWP department dealing with your claim as soon as you have control of the money.

If your partner moves in with you then they will be added to your ESA claim any income that they have or savings will affect your ESA and if they work for 24 hours or more a week then your ESA cannot be paid.

Your PIP is not affected by any of the changes that you mention.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230408 by SLW
Replied by SLW on topic Inheritance
We sold our house in November 2014 and lived in our caravan until March 2015 when we bought a new property. I advised DWP and my ESA benefit was stopped. On purchasing our new home I got back in touch withDWP to advise that we had purchased a new home. We sent the DWP the bank statements for this period and I got all my ESA paid back dated to Novemer 2014. Hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: simon

More
4 years 11 months ago #230439 by simon
Replied by simon on topic Inheritance
Thank you so much, am in a bit of a state as all this happened on the 18th may. l was advised to ask to try and put my mind at easy, Also my partner lives in england we are going to look for a half way place to live eg Somerset i feel a bit like a money graper asking but the Dwp but the great fear into me so wish to do the right thing Thank you so much for your advice

More
4 years 11 months ago #230447 by simon
Replied by simon on topic Inheritance
Last point, should l inform dwp when l get the money regarding buying a house or before? as am worried they could stop all my main tested benefits and l would be left with no money to live on until probate is sorted DWP scare me l just wish to do the right thing

More
4 years 11 months ago #230449 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Inheritance

simon wrote: Last point, should l inform dwp when l get the money regarding buying a house or before? as am worried they could stop all my main tested benefits and l would be left with no money to live on until probate is sorted DWP scare me l just wish to do the right thing

You need to inform the DWP as soon as you have control of the money, this should be after the probate is concluded but I can't state this for certain.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: simon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.