× Members

Income Support Arrears Mandatory Reconsideration

• stevenflavin@yahoo.co.uk
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #232912 by stevenflavin@yahoo.co.uk
Income Support Arrears Mandatory Reconsideration was created by stevenflavin@yahoo.co.uk
I need help with the above.
I have been underpaid Income Support by £50 per week since October 2018.
They say they "haven't received my paperwork" and are refusing to backdate my arrears.
What do I do next ?
I'd be grateful if somebody could advise me as I can't find anything on your website.
regards
Steven

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232950 by Gordon
S

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Why do you think that you are being underpaid?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #233220 by stevenflavin@yahoo.co.uk
Replied by stevenflavin@yahoo.co.uk on topic Income Support Arrears Mandatory Reconsideration
Hello Gordon.
I finished a part time job in Ocotber 2018 and sent the relevant paperwork to DWP in one of their pre-paid envelopes.
I queried my benefit amount in early May 2019 and they told me that I have been underpaid by £52 per week since October 2018.
They have paid me 4 weeks arrears payments and said that they hadn't received the paperwork in October so couldn't pay me the rest of the arrears.
They said "It is up to me to ensure they receive my documents".
I think this is unfair and I'm entitled to the arrears.
hope you can help
Steven

More
4 years 10 months ago #233239 by Gordon
webfink

Have you resent the documentation that they requested?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #233399 by stevenflavin@yahoo.co.uk
Replied by stevenflavin@yahoo.co.uk on topic Income Support Arrears Mandatory Reconsideration
Hello Gordon.
Yes, I have resent it in May and they have accepted it but, they are saying they never received them back in October 2018, even though I sent them in their prepaid envelope and therefore they won't pay me the arrears.
They have said I should write them an appeal letter and I was hoping that Benefits & Work might be able to help in some way, maybe suggesting a specific way of wording my appeal letter etc.
If not, I will just write to them and hope for the best.
Any advice would be helpful.
thanks
Steven

More
4 years 10 months ago #233408 by Gordon
webfink

So your MR needs to state that are challenging the Decision not to backdate the change in your earnings from the date that the change occurred. That you supplied the information as requested in October 2018 using their supplied envelope and that a letter posted to the DWP should be a letter received by the DWP.

Your MR request can be a letter addressed to the DWP office dealing with your Income Support, just include the words "Mandatory Reconsideration Request" at the top of the letter. I would send it using a Tracked post if you can afford it and if not take it to a Post Office and ask for a Certificate of Posting.

MRs are taking around 8-12 weeks at the moment.

The difficulty you will have is that you did not chase the letter for six months, did you contact them at all during this time?

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris